2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

low to no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 04:14 PM
jblue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low to no oil pressure

I have a 98 Dakota with a 2.5 litre motor,acquired in a trade,love this truck. It has 115000 miles had a new oilsending unit,oil pump, purolator filter and castrol 10w30 and still at stop have low to no oil pressure, can ANYBODY HELP!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Dakoter
Amateur
Default RE: low to no oil pressure

could be cam bearings dumping, and crank bearings dumping. could be a restricted pickup tube as well. I would have made sure to have put a new pick up tube in with the new oil pump. besides the cam gets the oil suply befor the crank does. you might be dumping there do to excessive oil clearance.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 PM
jblue

We clean and cleared the pickup tube, would the motor make any noises if the cam or crank bearings were going out. I've drove this about 300 miles and it runs great,with no noises other then that check gauges bell,plenty of power for a 2.5.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:35 AM
Dakoter
Amateur

no it dosn't have to make noise to have exsesive oil clearance, it just depends on how much extra. I gues your lucky, cause my 2.5 dosn't have great power, the engine is in tip top shape smooth idle, and few miles, it runs great, but these engines, were just not to powerfull. the thing I hate about it, is the excelleration, but I love my dakota, cause it gets good mpg, and it is in such good shape. I do my oil change every 3,000 miles, I watch what gas I put in the tank, and I allways inspect under the hood, down to the tires. but any way no noise is needed to have exsesive oil clearance.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:37 AM
Dakoter
Amateur

might I add you can not trust the factory oil gauge.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:53 AM
jblue

Maybe I'll put on a real oil pressure gauge and trystraight 30 weight oil

Quick Reply: low to no oil pressure