2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Running glasspacks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:21 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Running glasspacks?

Well here's the thing...

I already got rid of the other cat...

So I have two, right after the mani's...

If I gut them, will I throw codes?

Old 06-12-2007, 04:24 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Frenchy

Well here's the thing...

I already got rid of the other cat...

So I have two, right after the mani's...

If I gut them, will I throw codes?
Yes if you do anything to them they will throw codes.. ive seen that sometimes people get lucky and delete them and dont get codes, but its a fat chance. if you gut them or delete them.. more then likely they will throw codes, simms just fix that by telling the PCM you have a perfect flowing cat.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:27 AM
Frenchy
Banned

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll ****....

Anyways, it would just be that annoying little engine light thing-a-majig.... right?

Also, my friend said what we're gonna do, is cut the cats off... cut them in half, tear all the **** outta them, weld em back together, and then weld em back on... is this how we should go about doing it, or can we just cut the cats off, NOT cut them in half, and get the **** outta them, that way?

I don't get why it would throw a code if the sensor is in place still.....

I think per side, I only have one sensor, and it's before the cat...

I may have two, but I don't think so...

I never really checked.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:37 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

01+ Daks have 3 cats stock.. 4x o2 sensors 2x infront of cat, 2x behind cat, they throw codes because the o2 sensors read the emissions that your cats put off, have you ever seen a truck or car without cats? They smoke alot and create more pollution.. thats why they are on there to help not kill the earth and make the guy behind you smell up all your dirty *** smog in there a/c lol..

the o2s will throw codes even if the cats on and its not working right.. and yes the light will come on and sometimes it dogs down your gas milage and makes your truck run a bit crappier as in dogs down at WOT and such.. the SIMMS will fix that.. they send the PCM signals that you still have the cats in place and they are working 100% correct, so you wont get codes and you wont dog down.. but it will still smoke and smell like ****.

and if i where you it would be eaiser (to me) to just cut the damn cats off and replace the cut pipe with a new pipe.. instead of re welding the gutted cats back on... unbolt your flanges at the Exhuast manis, and take it down to a muffler shop or somthing and have them shape you a new pipe.. could probably do it yourself if you know how to weld.. if not it would probably only cost like 50$ to replace the missing pipes.. just go to some off wall shop that doesnt give a flip about emmisons.. lol.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Frenchy
Banned

Dude, you've been nominated for TOTM.... go accept!!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:49 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres some cut outs from summit for like $580 for 2 of them. so thats not too bad. I dont know where I got mine from. they guy just had acouple sitting around when I got my exhaust done.

I was thinking on putting them on my 99 dak, but I dunno

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Quick Reply: Running glasspacks?