2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

fuel problem 99 dakota please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011 | 04:52 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Lightbulb The Engine Control Module (ECM Computer)

Now that I think on this it sounds like the Engine Control Module (ECM Computer) is it real hot now where you live when my computer was going out three years ago it was intermittently running bad then good, rough running, staled out un-expectantly, hard to start, so just strange behavior for a week or two then bam it was dead.

Just checked the prices on a new ECM WOW they have doubled from three years ago.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-09-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-10-2011 | 01:14 AM
winterhk
Default Ecm

Just got my truck back from my mechanic, he worked on it all day and could find anything wrong. He did a couple of things, check grounds, electical plugs, I took it out for a test ride. ran good for a while than it acted up again. I got out and open hood this time and banged on the computer. It started up and died. Did it again and strated up. I got it home just in time for it to die again and coasted into my mechanics driveway. He banged on it and it started right again. Maybe it will die or maybe I will pack a bigger Hammer!

Old 08-10-2011 | 12:25 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default I think the summer heat is trashing a lot of CPM's this year

If beating on it works then I would say the ECM has a cracked connection inside it that means it’s bad.

I think the summer heat is trashing a lot of ECM's this year I see all kinds of posts about weird dash and startup problems with just weird running problems ECM is usually the problem what makes it hard is it can be an on then off problem that confuses people

Heat and humidity makes for a possible bad ECM

Quick Reply: fuel problem 99 dakota please help