2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Drop a Hemi in? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007 | 06:52 PM
varsis
|
Record Breaker
Default Drop a Hemi in? Worth it?

Hi, Well I have been looking on the internet for putting a hemi into my dakota with the ram tranny too. But the problem is that I am not sure how much work this is and how much this work would do. I just think that the dakota would be a nice change to have some power and I might even have my engine going no power in it. I had it set for cruise at about 75-80 miles to hour. But it would climb a hill and not get going agian unless it shifted down. I had it going about 70 miles an hour when It hit the almost flat slope at the top of the hill. So Either I fix this or do a swap. or try and pawn it off on someone stupid. lol

Old 06-18-2007 | 06:57 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Default RE: Drop a Hemi in? Worth it?

pawn it off on some one stupid

I dunno. theres a guy on another forum that did the swap and he cant get it to stay idling, and you dont wanna know how much he has into it.

what motor do you have now? maybe try and beef that one up.

Old 06-18-2007 | 07:34 PM
varsis
|
Record Breaker

Well I have 3.9 magnum and it is starting to go or the timing chain is off like said above. It just can't get going or keep going.

Chris

Old 06-18-2007 | 08:10 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

If you do a search, you will find the thread that will link you to a guy who did this. I hope you understand the amount of work involved...not to mention money. Doing that swap would make the 5.9 swap look lik child's play.

Old 06-18-2007 | 08:37 PM
varsis
|
Record Breaker

I have read what The guy did, but he used the stock tranny behind the 5.7L hemi. He finally figured it out and he has it running fine now, a bit of rough idle. But I think everything would be swapped. All done by hand of course and I know that I could handle it becuase i removed the tranny on my own. I know I would have to redo the oil pan, simple fix for me. I know a friend who has a dad who does machining so If I really need I can get that done. But I do think this truck really lacks power right now, It needs to be either fixed or junked on someone else. But Is it maybe worth it for me. Will my diff and front diff handle this? I would probably swap in the hemi's transfer case. Make it simpler. Might just need a new drive shaft. Ofcourse I would be buying a hemi which was drivable just scrapped.

Old 06-18-2007 | 09:24 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Keep in mind everything that would have to be done. You would need a new driveshaft, rear end, gauges, radiator, mounts, and on and on. This can and has been done, but just keep in mind that you could probably get a very nice used truck with plenty of power for the amount of money you are about to drop in this project.

Old 06-18-2007 | 09:39 PM
varsis
|
Record Breaker

Maybe il just figure out whats wrong with this Im pretty sure in a few years i won't have time to dirtbike and il buy a car

Quick Reply: Drop a Hemi in? Worth it?