2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Heater Control Head Doesn't Work When Outside Temp is "--"

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:34 PM
jcallaway1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Control Head Doesn't Work When Outside Temp is "--"

I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota. I've had a couple weird problems that have been randomly occurring since I bought it new. I'm not too worried about the air bag light coming on for days at a time and then going off for months, only to return on again.

My biggest headache with this vehicle has been the temperature controls going out. When theoverhead console shows -- for the outside temperature the A/C, temperature control, and air flow controls stop working. For instance, if I have the heat blowing through the vents and this happens, I can't turn on the A/C, I can't turn down the heat, and I can't route the air to the defrosters. This has been problematic during the Minnesota winter when I don't have defrosters. Now it's a problem during the hotand humid summer.

This has happened many times, usually for a few days ina rowand then the overhead console shows the outside temp again and all is well. It typically happens frequently once it starts and then it seems to stop for several months (working correctly). I had the Heater / A/C Control Head replaced by the dealer and it worked for about 6 months before happening again.

I have a new baby and the temp outside is around 90 and my controls are disabled again. This has been going on for almost 2 weeks straight. I can attempt to fix the Heater Control Head again, but I don't understand why this continues to happen and why it's tied to the overhead console displaying -- for the outside temperature.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the help. If replacing the control head is the way to go I could use some instructions. The dealer said it's about about 1/2 hour job so I assume I could do it in a couple hours.

Thanks from a new Dad.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Heater Control Head Doesn't Work When Outside Temp is "--"

Well, as far as your air bag light, try turning on the cruise control when it comes on. If the cruise control doesn't work, the wiring connection going through your steering wheel has come loose. As far as your temp control problem, have you started with the basics, like all fuses and relays?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:00 PM
jcallaway1
Default RE: Heater Control Head Doesn't Work When Outside Temp is "--"

I'll test out the cruise control to see if it impacts the air bag light. The air bag light has been intermittent ever since I bought the truck new.

As for the temp control. I'm not sure how a fuse would cause what's happening. For instance, the outside temp was about 70 the other day and all of my temp controls started working again, including the air conditioner. Later that day, after the temp outside got warmer, the controls were out again. I always know when this is happening by the overhead console outside temp gauge. If it shows a temperature, then the controls are working. If it shows "--" instead, then the controls are out. I remember when I called the dealership about this and they said there's no way they could be tied together. So, when it happened, I drove the truck to the dealership, left it running until they looked at it. They were a little surprised, because back then turning the truck off and restarting would make it work again. Anyway, that's when they replaced the Heater Control Head (or so the dealership told me).

If you still think it's a relay or a fuse that's causing the intermittent disabling of my temp controls please reply again and I'll try replacing them.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Heater Control Head Doesn't Work When Outside Temp is "--"