2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

down to one probelm, and happy about it

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:18 AM
lidhead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default down to one probelm, and happy about it

I bought this 99 dak 2WD 5.2 L 5spdin april, and i'm almost done fixing the probelms. so far i have had to replace: 4 tires, both front brake rotors (w/ new pads), u-joints, 4shocks(stock ones were causing a vibration and lurching feeling), 1 brake line, plugs & wires(never been changed), 2 front hub bearings, and i added a cold air intake didn't need it, but what the hell. Now i have only therear speed sensor to replace. I know i was buying a used truck, but damn i've spent almost an extra 2 grand on fixing the problems!! so i have 2 questions, firstis it normal for the 2nd gen dakota's to have theseproblems, and if so how many more problems do I have to look forward to?second, how hard is it to change arear speed sesnor?

Old 07-01-2007, 02:39 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: down to one probelm, and happy about it

To be honest since I got my dodge nothing but problems, well only with the transmission. I have spent almost 2,500 on my truck, but you need to just watch everything most of that seems like regular maintenance, and the previous owner never greased anything or just bagged it.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:03 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had my share with chrysler/dodge automatics, all garbage, but rebuild them with stronger parts and they hold up to withstand a nice beating.. that and o2 sensors

Old 07-01-2007, 04:21 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Only things I've ever HAD to replace on my truck was the ball joints (which is common) and the water pump. Another very common thing you might want to check is the belly pan gasket.They are notorious for going on our trucks and will cause oil consumption and spark knock. Look down through your throttle body, and if you see a film of oil, you need to replace it.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:32 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never had to replace anything on my 2001, except for tires and brakes.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:18 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is a 2000 ive had it for about 1 year now.

Replaced..

Waterpump,
Power steering pump,
Hoses,
O2s
Ballljoints
and some other crap like plugs and wires and ****.

not to bad.. my ford ranger was worse.... god just to change the plugs you have to take off the intake manifold... idiots..

Old 07-02-2007, 03:21 AM
98R/TDak
Professional

i gota 98 rt with 86000 miles on and ive just had to replace the front rotors and pads and rear drum shoes, changed the spark plugs and wires but just cause i wanted to, also had to change the speed sensor, but other then that its been fine except for the check engine light came on all of a sudden and i have no clue what its for but oh well it hasnt blowin up yet

Old 07-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: lidhead

I bought this 99 dak 2WD 5.2 L 5spdin april, and i'm almost done fixing the probelms. so far i have had to replace: 4 tires, both front brake rotors (w/ new pads), u-joints, 4shocks(stock ones were causing a vibration and lurching feeling), 1 brake line, plugs & wires(never been changed), 2 front hub bearings, and i added a cold air intake didn't need it, but what the hell. Now i have only therear speed sensor to replace. I know i was buying a used truck, but damn i've spent almost an extra 2 grand on fixing the problems!! so i have 2 questions, firstis it normal for the 2nd gen dakota's to have theseproblems, and if so how many more problems do I have to look forward to?second, how hard is it to change arear speed sesnor?
Just to let you know, most of the parts you have listed are regular maintanence parts. Tires, brake pads (rotors need to be replaced most likely because of previous owner's negligance), shocks, spark plugs/wires etc. are all things you have to replace no matter what vehicle you are driving. The other items you have listed make me wonder how poorly the previous owner treated your truck.

Quick Reply: down to one probelm, and happy about it