2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Stick with the Tang?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:14 PM
DAKNBLK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stick with the Tang?

The manual, and all the literature I can find on line say my '00 uses the 'green' coolant. It has orange stuff in it now. I know there are more than a few colors for coolants used by different mfgs, so, my question is... Is Mopar 'green' actually green, or is it this orange stuff? If Mopar's 'green' is actually green, then someone, or a dealer along the way, has switched it out for the orange. OK, to boil it all down... do I,
1: drain and fill with the G05
2: drain and fill with normal green
3: leave it alone, and let someone more knowledgeable than me make the decision?

I know this subject is beat to death on every auto forum on Earth, but the reason for the continued beating, is the fact that this subject never gets put to sleep with concrete evidence of what to do.
[/align]

Old 06-30-2007, 02:49 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Stick with the Tang?

I don't think orange will be different it's just a different color still the something nothing different. Just check the mixture and if it's for like -37.7 celcius - -35 farheit than thats the optimum temp. for around here not sure what kind of weather you get there but never mix more than 30- 70 mix.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:13 AM
4x4kota
Veteran

the orange stuff does have different properties to it than the green. I know mixing the 2 together is bad, but have been told that you can completely drain out all the green and put in the orangewhich many guys have done. Also there is some stuff for all makes and models that you can add to orange or green. Personally i don't get it. Go to the stealer... ughhm i mean dealer and ask what they reccomend. After all they are the ones with the licence. (btw sorry for the once again not concrete answer.)

Old 07-02-2007, 02:24 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i understand, the orange "tang" fluid is based on organic properties and the green "slimer HI-C" fluid is inorganic.. haha the good old days of the sugar filled soft drinks i used to get in kindergarten

Old 07-04-2007, 07:57 PM
englitrob
Rookie

While i dont know which should be in there, i definitly knowthat mixing the two is very bad. I had this problem with a 93 camero. Adding the greed fluid to the orange makes the green fluid coagulate, and the globs clog up the radiator, engine cooling jackets, water pump, ext. I found this after the Camaro blew its heads from overheating. The fluids are interchangable, they just can't be mixed. If you do switch, i sugjest a total flush as well as a cooling system cleaner such as the one from Prestone.

Quick Reply: Stick with the Tang?