2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Spark Plugs/General Maintanence

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:10 AM
xVeNoMx
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs/General Maintanence

Hello..

It's that time.. I'm close to 100,000 so I am going to attempt to do the plugs on my truck. I did the cap and rotor button last week and also sprayed some throttle body cleaner into the throttle body as the butterflies looked a little black..

Just wondering if anybody has any tips on doing them on the 3.9L? They look pretty easy except the one closest to the brake booster.. Anybody?

If you wanna recommend a good plug as well, please feel free. From the searching I did here, I'm getting the feeling to stay away from the platinum's and go with NGK's or Champions.

Thanks,

Old 07-04-2007, 01:05 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plugs/General Maintanence

its way easy to do the plugs. personally i used Denso iridium plugs but im sure they are overkill, get the model number and check E-bay. i found that it was the same type of plug as one of the johnny racer import cars so there were a ton on ebay for cheap. NGK is just as good. You should probably change your wires too, mine were leaky at about 50k / 7 years. get a nice set of OEM equivalent ones with the correct boots and everything. also inspect your fan belt, hoses, pcv valve (if you have one) and vacuum lines while your at it.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:19 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with NGK V-power and also check everything else out while your in there too.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea the plugs on the 6 are not hard, but the socket size that we have for them is not deep enough so we needed a really short extention, if you dont use the extention you could break the plug off putting it in, or taking it out(i know that wouldnt matter) so i would suggest just making sure that the socket seats all the way down before applying any force to take it off, and for that last plug by the brake booster, drop the socket into the opening around the plug, then drop the socket wrench onto it and do from there, otherwise its really hard to get it in, other than that their easy to do

enjoy

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs/General Maintanence