2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Uh Oh! Tranny issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:08 AM
takethebounce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh Oh! Tranny issue?

So I was changing the tranny fluid and tranny filter today and when I dropped the pan and emptied the oil I found 3 small, well rather larger for a tranny, peices of metal stuck to the magnet. Never have I seen anything like this before. My trans has no issues with slipping or going into gear? I am going to take the pieces into a tranny shop the first day I have off but I wanted to see if anyone could help me first. I am going to try and add a picture.

The peices are about 1, 2 and 3 inches lond, 1/4 inch in width and 1/8 inch in thickness.

[IMG]local://upfiles/66537/9C583689A8E64DF189ABE7879BCDA4B7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-14-2007, 03:26 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Uh Oh! Tranny issue?

Might help to tell us whether this is a manual or Auto. If It auto it could be numerous things. Those peices are very big. good thing your tranny is still running, but it might be a metal gasket is my guess by the sizes. I have never taken apart a transmission. But I understand how they work. For all you know those might not even be peices of the transmission. It looks very clean the peices I must say. I would before you got removing the transmission or anything take that to a mechanic and tell them you found that in there. And ask them what it could be. Most of the time they will help you and ask if it could be anything serious.

I might say this though they look kind of like clutch plates. But very small width wise. Thickness is about right and from the marking's on them it looks like it too. Or some sort of rotations.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:24 PM
takethebounce

My bad, its an auto, 42RE I believe, the 14 bolt pan.

Certainly I thought it may have been something other than tranny parts, but those are rather large pieces to have somehow found their way to the pan. They look to be from some circular piece, the part that worries me is where the other half of the circle is!

I am deffinetly going to a mechanic just thought I could learn some info from someone on here first so I can go with a pocket full of knowledge.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:56 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Well, If you bring it somewhere bring is somewhere you trust. If you have to get it remanned, go somewhere VERY good , and don't cheap out, pay extra at least you won't have problems.

Quick Reply: Uh Oh! Tranny issue?