2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Burning Oil... !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 PM
chris0211
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Burning Oil... !!!

the TB is Hughes Engines.. the best pic of what it really looks like is the first one. the flash on the others kinda messed the pic up.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../untitled1.jpg

Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 PM
aljr

ORIGINAL: rtkota5point9

WHOOOAAA. Hold up guys, before we go ripping apart the block to replace rings, lets consider some other possibilities.

Is it the factory Intake manifold on the truck? Meaning you havn't replaced it with an M1 or the like yet right? If so it could very well be your Plenum gasket. Very VERY common on our trucks, and it's a reletively easy and cheap fix, especially if you do it yourself. The gasket itself is only like $30, but make sure you get the other 2 gaskets as well, the intake manifold gaskets, because you need to reove it to get at the plenum. When this gasket goes bad, it sucks oil from the belly pan, right into the intake manifold and then down into the cylinders and burns it. +1

An easy way to tell if this is your problem is to take off the intake hat, open your throttle blades and witha flashlight, peek down into the intake manifold. If there is a film of oil, chances are this is the problem. My other Dakhad the same exact symptoms and burned nearly 4 quarts a month!

Another, even simpler problem could be a bad PCV valve. Chances are it's fine, but it's a $5 part, replace it anyways. Don't replace it with a FRAM though, go get one from the dealer. +1

Check these first before you go spending gobs of money on new rings. ~14k miles, no boost, no nitrous... I doubt the rings are bad to that extent already.
Exactly!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:54 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

I would definatly change the Gasket, and the PCV valve while you're at it.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 PM
chris0211

Thanks a lot!! I just went and rubbed it w/ a q-tip and theres a lil oil on it. its dark and the engine is still hot to ill have to look a little better tomarrow in some sun light.. i tryied to take a pic of it but the flash was messin up

Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the plenum gasket could cause the rough idle too

Quick Reply: Burning Oil... !!!