2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Just how GOOD are these Infinity speakrs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Sonicpilz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just how GOOD are these Infinity speakrs?

2001-Dakota Quad 4x4. My truck has the Infinity sound system and to make a long story short I've blown the two door speakers in the front. I called the dealer and they want $150 to replace them. I was wondering is there any aftermarket speakers that sound better (WITHOUT buying component type speakrs for $225+). Best buy has some Infinity speakrs for like $100 but my brother has these same speakers in his Camaro and they have NO BASS at all. Mid and high range is good but bass sucks.

I want something with a little better mid and high range but with at least equal bass to the FACTORY Infinity speakrs already installed.

Thanks for the help!!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:38 PM
takethebounce
Default RE: Just how GOOD are these Infinity speakrs?

If you are talking about the same Infinity upgrade I have in my '00, I ditched the whole system shortly after buying the truck. They are Infinity speakers but they are a paper cone and tweater that can't handle much at all, including bass. The head unit runs to a factory booster that is under the right side dash. Its mearly a booster not an amp which doesn't give as good a quality. I had new back plates made for some Alpine 6 inch mids and tweater combo that I got on ebay for $60. It came with the external filter that I mounted behind the door panel. Until I had time and money to get a new amp I ran the speakers off my new deck.

If you are running the stock deck you can run new speakers through the factory booster, you just wont get the quality you are likely looking for.

Infinity Reference series, if they still make them were a good fit for the factory location. Any Mid size speaker would be an upgrade to the factory ones even though it is supposedly a better system. Look for some Alpines.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Sonicpilz

Do the Infinity referance series have the same BASS quality as the factory speakers? I understand that the factory speakers are only paper and aren't very good quality but they DO have some good bass for factory speakers. More importantly they havegood LOW range bass. From what I've seen on the market most of the aftermarket speakrs are made to be accompanied with a subwoofer. The Infinity referance for example is a perfect mid-high range speaker, subwoofers are supposed to make up for the lack of bass.

I do not have room a subwoofer nor do I want to spend $250 on a little 6 inch speaker. If I need to spend that much money for bass I will buy a 12 inch sub and put it in the back seat.

Has anyone replaced the factory infinity system speakers with a full range type speaker and actually been pleased with it? My head unit will be bought at the same time as the speakers and I just want to know if there is anything that can match the bass of the factory speakers. If not I'll just buy cheap door speakers AND a sub for around the same price.

Oh and the door speakers are 6.5 correct? Can I fit a 6.75 using the same mounting brackets?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:35 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

the 6.75's should fit finebut if not, ditch the bracket and you can mount them directly to the door and a dynamat speaker kit will stop all rattles

Old 07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Billiam
Champion

The kenwoods that I got in my truck work awesome. I turn it up pretty loud with no problems or worrys about blowing em.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 PM
chris0211

I have Infinity Refference in my whole truck. (stock Tweeters, 6.75s and a 1000-watt 12" Sub) in my single cab and it sounds great!

Quick Reply: Just how GOOD are these Infinity speakrs?