2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New here with questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:48 AM
Gdbyrd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here with questions

Hey all, I just purchased a 2000 Dakota 4x4 with the 5.9L, auto. It was exactly what I wanted and I had been looking for months, mileage was kinda high at 100K, but ext/int was in excellent condition.

This is my first truck, and I found it odd the way it would shift. It kinda jumps forward from 1-2. At 3-4 it seems like it shifts too soon and falls too low on rpm. Driving at slow speeds you don't really even notice it, but at higher speeds or pushing the throttle at all you notice it a lot. Not sure if this is normal, but I had a friend come with me and he assured me a lot of trucks tend to be that way. I test drove a couple silverado's and I noticed similar pulls from 1-2, but not at later shifts.

I'm going to put some money into this truck, so I'm wondering where would be a good place to start. With my worries on the transmission..if it might be going, then I'll just save my money for when it goes...If it's normal, then I would like to do the best mod for my money. If there's something external I could do to optimize shifts I'd like to do that, because the way it is right now is annoying. Exhaust, headers, and who knows what all else I'd like to do, but it'll be in the works.

Thanks for any responses I get and great trucks. Looking forward to a long relationship with mine.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:11 AM
dapirate559
Professional
Default RE: New here with questions

my 04 does the same thing. so i wouldnt be worried. the best mod would be exhaust and a cool air intake. thats all i have and its fine for now. im assuming that since u got the 4x4 u go offroad? well then i suggest you crank the torsion bars in front all the way up to level out the car. it will also give you better handling and i think a better ride. well let me know if you need anything else.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Try driving with the OD off and see if it helps the situation.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Gdbyrd

The 4x4 was more for the occassional trip to the beach. I live about 45 minutes from the coast and I try to get out there when I can. The truck already comes with an aftermarket intake, so I'd assume exhaust is where I'll starrt. The factory headers looks god awful, so I'm sure there's a lot to be made there.

I'm just overly relieved that the transmission sounds OK. That had been bugging me since i bought the truck....I'll give it a shot with turning the OD off.

There's some undercarriage rust I'd like to take care of. It's pretty minimal and I think it's pretty normal wear and tear, but I'd still like to take care of it in the event it could become a problem later. Do you have any suggestions for a product I could spray or paint on to kill the rust?

Quick Reply: New here with questions