2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

First Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:25 PM
dragon8master
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Truck

Hey guys, I'm gettin' my first truck! A brand-spankin' used '00 Dakota Extanded Cab, with 3.9L V6 and 5-speed. It does have 191,000 miles on it, so I'm looking for any advice on things to watch out for, common maintenance issues and the such. But, I would also like any info/opinions on performance parts for this truck, for both the engine and the chassis. And I'm not interested in needing a step ladder to get in, or dragging the frame on the black-top. But, a little lower would be good if I could retain (or increase)the stockload capacity and maintain driveability. I do know Gibson is a popular dual exhaust,but I'm having trouble finding a cold air intake for the 3.9 engine. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:51 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Truck

airraid has it for the 3.9 but k&n has it for the 5.9 which will fit.. the 3.9, 5.2 and 5.9 are all the same motors except the 3.9 is a v6... and the 5.2 is a v8 and the 5.9 is an overbored 5.2.. if your hoping the v6 has power, nope, it can move out of it's own way but your not goning to be hauling *** unless your going downhill .. i have a dynomax cat-back dual outlet on my dakota, and i love it

Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM
5 speed
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt run out and start modding it, chances are with that many miles after a few mods it might be back up to the factory rated hp numbers, if anything go pick up another 3.9 and go through it maybe put a mild cam and some head work and once yours kicks it swap in that warmed up motor, you figure and intake is about $250 exhaust is at least $200 buy the time your done with stupid bolt ons you could have something worthwhile done

Old 08-28-2007, 04:23 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

new gears will help out if you want *****...

it doesnt give power, but it feels like it does due to the snappy launches and great low end.. 4.56s, 4.10s.. cost about 300$ in parts 300$ labor (unless you do it yourself) like i said its not HP and Torque.. but it will seem like it has ***** off the line, other then that.. get a stock v8 TB (i have one if you need 40$ shipped its a 50mm TB works great on the V6s, and you can use a good Cold Air with it to, i have the AEM Bruteforce 4" piping and a aftermarket Airhat (larger) and a big oversized filter.. works fine and looks cool. Check my gallery if you want pics of it.

like i said if you want a Throttle Body let me know, i have all the hardware and **** for it.. it came off my 5.9 2000 R/T Dakota.. shoot me a PM if interested.

Later.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
dragon8master
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the motorruns fine. And, I'd rather spend money bolting onto it than go buy a couple thousand dollar motor. I did find a Magnaflow dual-tipped exhaust on ebay for $495 shipped. As far as the intake I would like an AEM if they made one for the 3.9, simply because you don't have to oil the filter like you do a K&N. I'll wait a while and see what all I can find before I go buying a bunch of stuff anyway. Also I hear that a 180 degree thermostat is a good upgrade, but where is a good place to get one?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: First Truck