2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Ethanol

ok i know that ethanol burns less efficiently that straight gas, but how much less efieciently, ive been getting some free gas from HESS and they use a 10% ethanol mix in their gas, and since using it i have dropped a little more that 1 mpg, can i write it off as the ethanols fault, or should i start looking for a problem???

note im getting a 14.8 right now and im wondering if i can bring that back up to almost 16(where my mom had it when she drove it, and she refuses to buy hess gas)

Old 08-30-2007, 11:28 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ethanol

like I said before.... if you didnt pay for it, then who cares

but ya, ethanol will make yourgas milagego down a bit. I wouldnt worry about it. and I doubt you will get as good gas milage as your mom anyways. she probly drives like a granny and you drive like a bat outta hell

Old 08-30-2007, 11:55 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

haha yea i wouldn't worry about it specially if ur not payin for it haha i got 20 mpg on the way to my school the first time following my dad and the last two trips i made by myself cruising at 75-80 i've only gotten 17.25 o well lol

Old 08-30-2007, 12:30 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about where you live, but most places I know are already doing 10% blends, and have been, for a while.
Whenever you go back to buying gas again, stay away from Citgo, your giving money directly to Venezuela... just don't do it.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ethanol will slightly lower your gas milage/hp output. But, like said above, they have been using it for a while now. You will also need to keep an eye out for carbon deposits more freequently than before. Increase your intake manifold cleanings slightly in frequency and you should be fine. (Sea foam does wonders)

Old 08-30-2007, 01:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

umm around here there are only 2 or 3 stations that do it,HESS and LUKOIL, but i dont buy citgo, theyre too expensive, i usually buy enrite, united, delta, rosern/cam (local station)or idk what its called, another off brand, they are all within 2-3 cents of each other and about 5-15 cents less than the rest of the stations, and most places seem to sell straight gas around here,

and jonny, you are right, my mom drives like a granny, but she was getting 16.8 or so in the city, and im only getting 14.8, i would like that number to be high 15's, or low 16s, but any other ideas to improve my mpgs, wouldnew plugs help(66000 + on stock plugs, my dad droppedt he ball there)

Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

I would do intake and exhaust. it will help breathe alot better and give a bit better gas milage if you dont giver all the time just to hear the exhaust. my best is 20-21mpg. but my average is 17-18mpg. aslong as I'm over 15mpg im happy. I just like hearing my exhaust.

so I took a ride in the back of my box last weekend (not by choice) and its sooo much louder back there never leave your keys in your truck and **** off one of your buddies

Old 08-31-2007, 08:23 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

dont worry, i stop the truck and shut it off, the keys come out of the ignition and go into my pocket, or onto my belt, and most of my buddies are smart enough not to try that **** with me, they know ill make them pay, and really moding this truck out is not an option bc (for 1 im only 17 so funds are tight) its in my parents name and if they ever found out i would be murdered, so im looking for simple stuff thats easy to hide

Quick Reply: Ethanol