2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

blowers????

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 07:58 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: blowers????

You're wrong. For 1: A Kenne-Bell is NOT a roots. It's a Twin-Screw. Very similar in looks, but work the exact opposite. Roots have lobes that force air against the OUTSIDE of the case. Twin screws force the airBETWEEN the 2 screws.

And Blowers are totally different than a modern Twin-screw supercharger. Blowers do exactly what they say, they blow more air into the intake manifold than the engine needs. The air is compressed in the INTAKE, not in the blower itself. It's like a pump.Twin-Screws COMPRESS the air as it travels through the headunit. The outcome is denser air into the intake manifold. Centrifigal superchargers (prochargers)are indeed technically a "blower" because it does not compress the air in it's own housing. But that does NOT mean every supercharger is a blower.

That's the difference... One is a pump, the other is a compressor. Root's style "Blower's" will ONLY work on a carbed engine. Superchargers work on EFI engines. People use the name "Blower" to describe superchargers, but it isn't correct. My Kenne-Bell is NOT a "blower".

Old 10-06-2007, 08:05 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Oh and BTW... A twin-screw design produces less heat than a centrifigal (procharger) which actually makes them MORE efficient. Twin screws type S/C's are capable of full boost andcan produce any amount of boost desired at any RPM aboveroughly 2000 RPM. Harder to tune this way, but much more predictable.

Root's ARE old skool and are not as efficent,. but get your facts straight before you talk about **** you don't know... k buddy

Oh and since when did they discontinue roots blowers??? lol They still make plenty.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Durango911
Professional

Wow! I guess I learned something new today. I can't always be right. Thanks for the lesson.[sm=sigh.gif][sm=sorry.gif] I honestly don't think that the twin screw is more efficient then the ati procharger. The procharger has an intercooler. I had a ~20hp difference by using theprocharger vs the kenne belland I used the same amount of boost.And I was talking about how kenne bell discontinued their supercharger for our trucks. And they only did that because our trucks are considered "old" now.(had to be a smartass!) I remember having a recall on my kenne bell. But it was because of their stupid optimizer. I just found an article that explains the difference between a blower and a supercharger.

http://forcefedperformance.com/TechD...bochargers.asp

Old 10-06-2007, 02:51 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Yeah they did discontinue them for our trucks because they were old, but hey... they can't make them for every model forever.

And I totally agree you probably gained more HP per boost from the ATI than from the Kenne-Bell. Reason being... The "Optijunk". That was the worst thng to ever come from Kenne-Bell. It pulled too much timing, added too much fuel, and had bad drievability issues. All of which rob gobs of power. THAT is the single downfall in a Kenne-Bell. Get rid of that piece and get an aftermarket fuel and timing calibrator and you can gain a LOT more. The actual design of the supercharger is a more efficient design because of the amount of heat it produces compared to others and the way it compresses the air. But.... You just need to be able to harness it's full potential.

Prochargers are awesome BTW. If I ever sold this setup, i'd probably go with one. Just because it's something different, I'm always up for change, and the ease of tuning. Plus they are capable of larger amounts of Boost.Because of it's design, you can only get so muchboost out of atwin-screw, no matter how fast you turn it.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:12 PM
craig4465
Rookie

Turbo charge would be much more feasable . i seen on on hot rod tv that bolted on after your muffler then you ran the tube back up front into your intake. looked like an easy mod. just my .02

Old 10-06-2007, 05:48 PM
craig4465
Rookie

it was made by sts technologies. good website and they make a few for the full sizw dodge, and also a universal kit.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:04 PM
englitrob
Rookie

While there are more efficient new technologies for producing boost, there is just something about a big roots blower sticking out of a hood that just screams muscle. The coolest scene in the history of movies is the begining of Mad Max where Mel is being chased by the bad guys, he slips behind one, flips a switch, turns on his blower, and rams the **** out of him.
That moment when the blower starts turning still makes me want to jump out of me seat and punch someone.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:12 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

nice

Old 10-06-2007, 10:44 PM
craig4465
Rookie

that would be the ford falcon xb gt interceptor, which is now able to be imported from down under, look on YOU TUBE and there is a guy on there with an exact replica of that car

Old 10-06-2007, 10:56 PM
craig4465
Rookie

Quick Reply: blowers????