2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear Axles

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:49 AM
01dakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axles

Is there supposed to be any play at all in the rear axles. There's not much on mine but the do move a little bit. Up and down and side to side on both sides. Is this ok?

Old 10-06-2007, 09:14 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: Rear Axles

the wheels on the axle move??! not sure i understand the ?

Old 10-07-2007, 08:22 AM
01dakota
Rookie
Default RE: Rear Axles

No,with thewheels off. If you push in and out, move it up and down or side to side there is a little bit of play on both sides of the truck. Like there may be something loose inside the rear diff. Thats what I'm trying to determin, If the little bit of play is normal or if there is something in the rear diff getting worn out or broken. It's only a 2wd and I'm the second owner. I have no idea if it was over worked before I had it or what.

Ok here is how I can explain it. You know how you would move the front wheel in the front around to check the bearings (side to side, top to bottom) thats what I did to the rear and it has a little bit of play. It also has a little bit o play when you push it in and pull it out. Not very much, it's not like it's flopping all over the place, Just enough for me to notice and make me wonder whats up.

Quick Reply: Rear Axles