2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota Long Bed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:47 PM
halfbakedskillet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Long Bed

I have a 99 dodge dakota with the short bed. It was hit in the rear by another driver about a week ago, and I am looking to purchase a complete truck bed from somebody within the area. I live in atlanta, ga and am looking for one in georgia, the eastern part of Alabama, maybe florida, maybe Tennessee or South Carolina. I am going to paint it myself to save some money (and with what insurance is giving me, I should be able to fix everything that is wrong with the truck!). So, if you have one that was in a front end, get some money for it before you get rid of it! A little dings is ok, but I am not the best at bondo work and large creases or dents would be bad. The truck looked impeccable (except for the rear bumper) before the wreck and I want to get it back to that way. (It says something when the truck has 95000 miles and people ask me if its new).

edit: measured the bed. Insurane adjuster appears to be wrong.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Dakota Long Bed

measure the bed length and then post the length of it a 6.5 ft bed is a short one, if its 7 or 8ft is a long bed, but idont know for sure when they stopped making them

Old 10-20-2007, 01:30 PM
halfbakedskillet

It's 6'5" on the inside of the bed with the bedliner in. about 6"10' meausred from the exteroir front to outside the tailgate. I'm slightly confused because I always thought it was a short bed until my insurance adjuster told me it was a long bed.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:37 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

your insurance adjuster obviously doesnt know his *** from his elbow, its a short bed its only 6.5' on the inside, i beleive that is the longest bed they made in the 2nd gens(not sure), and the quad cabs, when they came out(2000-2001 i think) they got a 5.x' bed on them(my dad has one, and i had a cc for a while), you have the short bed

i can guarantee it if you measured from the back by the cab, to the end that is usually covered by the tailgate(i assumed you knew this and it seems i was right)

and i would check your local pick 'n' pull

Old 10-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

then I guess he doesn't know what he's talkin about. Got a pic of the whole truck? I'm sure it's determinable from sight.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:56 PM
halfbakedskillet

he didnt measure at all. He was plugging away at his laptop looking at the thing and said something about a long bed. I said something to the extent of "...are you sure?" and he just looked at me and said yeah... its a long bed.

Anyway... pic of the truck

http://personal.theskillethead.com/p...k/DSC00818.JPG

edit: changed the pic to a link - it was throwing off formatting in the forum and I don't have the time to resize the pic manually.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:39 PM
spencea15
Record Breaker

I do not know what year your truck si but in 2000 when the quad came out the 5.5 ft bed(or what ever the length it is) is called the short bed and the 6.5 ft bed had been named the long bed. I do not know why but this is what dodge has called it when you look the vin up. I had to figure out this problem when I started paying insuraince on the truck because there was an extra fee for a long bed(i was 18 at the time so i am sure that had something to do with it).

Old 10-20-2007, 03:50 PM
02dakotakid
Professional

just goes to show ya that insurance adjusters are only in it for the money...i had **** stolen out of my truck and my insurance was only gonna pay me half of the money they owed me.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: spencea15

I do not know what year your truck si but in 2000 when the quad came out the 5.5 ft bed(or what ever the length it is) is called the short bed and the 6.5 ft bed had been named the long bed. I do not know why but this is what dodge has called it when you look the vin up. I had to figure out this problem when I started paying insuraince on the truck because there was an extra fee for a long bed(i was 18 at the time so i am sure that had something to do with it).
exactly... sorry about the confusion there is no 8' bed...its a dakota...

Old 10-20-2007, 05:24 PM
spencea15
Record Breaker

There where 8ft bed for the first generation. And yes it is the 6.5ft bed.

Quick Reply: Dakota Long Bed