2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Best Launch Technique

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:44 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Launch Technique

I finally got the chance to put my truck on the strip last weekend and tried all sorts of ways to get her off the line quickly. It always felt like it was just thinking about it till about 20 or 30 mph, then it really went well. Mine's AWD so traction isn't an issue.
I tried holding it against the brakes at the stall point (about 2100 revs). Tried just flooring it and finally just squeezing the pedal down (more like quick push, rather than stamping on it). This last technique seemed to work best but it still felt like I was loosing time in the first 60 feet. If I get her rolling at around 10 or 20 mph and then floor it she really leaps of the line, not much good at the strip though.
I know it only a truck, and I don't think I'll ever put her on the strip again as I've satisfied my curiosity but I was wondering what other people have experienced.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:04 AM
lil
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Launch Technique

The AWD is great when it comes to off road but when it comes to the drag strip it is going to be hard I would image to do anything better than you are doing without tearing up your front axel and drive shaft plus I am sure it takes more power to turn all off that gearing, but I pretty much do mine the same way when we have taken it to the track for some fun, if I just stomp it the rear breaks lose and just spins for days before gripping and I lose alot of time in the quarter mile compaired to just a quick push and keeping the tires from spinning, if I power break it I get bad times to.....fun to smoke the tires up but not good for the quarter mile times....I do know when at the track I have seen aone guy that have removed the front drive shaft in an AWD but he said that was after he had snapped one racing on pavement with it in place....not sure if that is a safe machanical thing you can do on your truck....good luck and have fun

Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

here is a idea, buy somthing fast, not a truck to race...lol just my .02

Old 10-21-2007, 09:58 AM
lil
Captain

The I6 4.2 TB is not muchfaster than a dak.......unless you get the SS now that thing is scary fast.....HEHEHE

Old 10-21-2007, 10:02 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

i wish, ive been lookin problem is nobody sells them, what i wasnt is a 05-current 2500 ram

Old 10-21-2007, 08:24 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what we use to do with the buick grand national was apply the e brake until the light turns. what is happening when apply only the brake and gas you are taking vaccum away from the motor. with the e brake on this will not happen. when you release the e brake you will feel the truck exhale and it will take off. but being an a.w.d. truck it wont be as exciting as the national holding the frt tires off the ground for about 8 inches or so of travel.

Quick Reply: Best Launch Technique