2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ignition - Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 PM
dunndakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition - Starting problems

1999 Dodge Dakota V8 5.2 Liter starting (maybe ignition) problems. When I go to start the truck for the first time that day I get nothing (no click, just silence). I replaced the battery 10 days ago, and had the alternator tested the same day. Once I turn the key back to the on position and then forward to start again it eventually starts, usually on the 3rd attempt. When it does start,it doesn't sound sluggish or anything. I'm thinking it's the ignition switch. As anyone ran into this, is it the ignition switch, any suggeestions as to what to look into?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:55 AM
jlking21
Rookie
Default RE: Ignition - Starting problems

just a guess but maybe selenoid

Old 05-17-2012, 03:49 AM
AquaRamMan

I have a '97 with a 2.5L and just had the same issue the other day. Stupid truck left me stranded at the hardware store...
I came out and started it, it cranked, caught and died. Tried it again, nothing. No noise, no clicks. The battery and starter sound same as always, not sluggish. I kept trying to start it and it started two more times but died each time. In between those times that it actually cranked and started it did the silent thing every time I turned the ignition. When the starter went out on my Ram, it at least clicked each time... Any ideas?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 AM
ebrperk
Rookie

I would go with an ignition switch, Sounds like what happened to me earlier this year

Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

May or may not be realted but a rusty and corroded connection at the starter didn't allow enough voltage...only clicked. Thing is though is that it was inconsistent...most of the time it started right up

Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM
AquaRamMan

Ok, I had a friend help me check some thing but the truck is still not starting at all. The fuel pump hums and the relay clicks and that is all. Pulled the starter relay and jumped the connection with a wire and the starter cranks. I'm stumped.
Parts that have been checked; Coil, Starter, Battery. Changed the ignition switch and ECM on the passenger fender. we have found an issue with the ignition wire to the starter not having the correct voltage at the starter end and also the wire from the PDC to the coil not having any voltage. Like I said, stumped. Any ideas?

I have had other issues with the engine and wiring separately; somebody stole my stereo and damaged some dash wiring including my dome light, stereo power and OBDII plug so I cant pull codes. The check engine light has been on for a few years as a result.
Engine troubles include; intermittent rough idle, backfiring, interrupted acceleration. Did a tune up about a year ago but still not sure what to look at. I have not had the money, time, or garage to tear it apart... not sure if these will be related.

Quick Reply: Ignition - Starting problems