2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

"NO BUS" reads on the Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
desmoquinn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "NO BUS" reads on the Odometer

2001 Dodge Dakota, 4.7, 4x4

Yesterday morning my truck did not start. I replaced the battery about 2 weeks ago. When I attempt to start the truck, all I get is the starter turning and the gas, check engine, and security lights light up and the odometer starts to blink then posts "no bus".

I have checked the fuses, and replaced the engine and starter relays...and still nothing.

Please help!

Old 11-01-2007, 03:19 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: "NO BUS" reads on the Odometer

No Bus means the computer isn't getting anything from the spedo etc.. Check your ground cable by the battery. Also the plugs into the PCM>

Old 11-01-2007, 08:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

No Bus also means something has taken the bus system down from the 5 volt feed to the controller. Try unplugging the crank sensor, that would on the right side of the engine block above the starter. this is for the 4.7 engine.Try starting the engine. If the engine starts and run then you need that sensor.Or keep unplugging sensor until the odometer no bus is gone, The engine run the cam sensor, but not very well.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:41 PM
desmoquinn

We towed the truck to the dealer, they hooked it up to the "magic machine" ($87) they got nothing, no feedback, so they began troubleshooting and finally said...the PCM is bad and needs to be replaced. Of course our warranty has expired and they quoted us $750 if they order/replace/hookup. We have called around to order the part so we can insall it ourselves. Hopefully, all we'll need the dealer for is toFLASHthe new PCM...hopefully that will save us a little on labor cost. Do any of you know where we can find a new PCM? All the local auto part stores don't carry it or can not get that particular piece. The cheapest we've found is $294.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed and thanks for the input!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:48 PM
chris1974
Veteran

ORIGINAL: desmoquinn

We towed the truck to the dealer, they hooked it up to the "magic machine" ($87) they got nothing, no feedback, so they began troubleshooting and finally said...the PCM is bad and needs to be replaced. Of course our warranty has expired and they quoted us $750 if they order/replace/hookup. We have called around to order the part so we can insall it ourselves. Hopefully, all we'll need the dealer for is toFLASHthe new PCM...hopefully that will save us a little on labor cost. Do any of you know where we can find a new PCM? All the local auto part stores don't carry it or can not get that particular piece. The cheapest we've found is $294.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed and thanks for the input!

Have you checked the local boneyards????? Sorry to hear the bad news BTW...

Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

"no bus" means take a cab
J/k
I'd save $ and try junkyard diving...
don't computers suck?

Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 PM
dapirate559
Professional

its ok cause my dad had to replace the pcm on his f-350 once already and its only an 04. so atleast urs has lasted a little longer.

Quick Reply: "NO BUS" reads on the Odometer