2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tranny Not Shifting at Redline

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:21 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Not Shifting at Redline

Well, My tranny was rebuilt a little while ago twice now. But My tranny still seems to shift incredibly late. It shifts, every time but at about 5k rpm, maybe a little more a little less, give or take. (Near this rpm's the acceleration is slow.) No power on the little 3.9L engine. I rode in my friends 2x4 QC. and it is way faster than mine. Mine is 4x4 but it still shouldn't be that much slower unless I have 4x4 engaged. I read somewhere about the speed sensors causing problems like late shifts. Than it shifts like new when you replace or clean it.

Could the Speed Sensor Cause this? Also If I brought it into dodge could they check it out and tell me if it's this before I go replacing stuff? Everything was fine when I brought it in last time. Im sure all the electronics are fine it just shifts too late. Any input would be great.

Chris

Old 11-08-2007, 11:22 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Tranny Not Shifting at Redline

Thought I would add in this video. Mine is probably half the speed maybe a bit more but it;s slow!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cSL1svflZaU

Old 11-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

Sounds to me like you're having to floor it due to lack of power. Holding the accelerator to the floor will make the tranny hold gears as long as it can. Try letting up on the throttle to make it shift.

And give us some background on the power issue. As many details as possible.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:05 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Well, I took the truck down to my trusty mechanic. And he took it for a test drive said everything was fine. Just the shift kit causes it to do this. But since it's a v6 with a 3.9 is because of the tranny not getting enough fluid pressure. One problem though my TB has a leak. and I think I still have a manifold Leak. But it's on the opposite that I put a gasket in which Might help.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:45 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

I thought I should add this. My mechanic told me my TV cable should be adjust when the Pedal is to the floor. I am not sure about this. The manual has a complete different way to do it. I would like know if anyone knows how to do this? He said it's more accurate than the other way...

Old 11-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

ORIGINAL: varsis

I thought I should add this. My mechanic told me my TV cable should be adjust when the Pedal is to the floor. I am not sure about this. The manual has a complete different way to do it. I would like know if anyone knows how to do this? He said it's more accurate than the other way...
That's usually the way to go. If you adjust it with the throttle at 0%, it might not allow the throttle to fully open and could cause the tranny to hold gears too long at light throttle. This is especially true with linkage systems. Hold the throttle all the way to the floor and then set it so the cable holds the kick down lever all the way at the same time.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Not quite sure on the instructions but From what I have read is press the button in and have someone push the pedal and however far the cable gets pulled out is the right adjustment? Instructions, don't go well with me lol.

Quick Reply: Tranny Not Shifting at Redline