2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sound Systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:15 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sound Systems

http://www.crutchfield.com<----Great prices, throw in instructions and on most purchases install kits for free and their customer service is great. definitaly the place i would buy from. They also have fitting guides and explanations of everything i would def check them out.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Nicegy525
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rockford Fosgate used to be a very good quality product until they went corporate. Their mass producing ways have sent quality down the toilet. Thats just my opinion though.

I prefer quality over quantity and I have always used JL Audio (favorites are the 12" Version 2 W3's) subs. Every other sub woofer I have heard cannot come close to the quality and responsiveness of those subs. Alpine is probably a close second though.

I think 1000watts per sub is more power than you need, unless you want to rock the block party or somethin. If youre going withtwo 12"s I would find a two channel 6-800 watt amp and bridge the two subs. For example, an 800 watt amp run parallel would have about 400 watts max going to each sub. Bridged would have about 650-700 watts max going to each sub.I have heard good things about Alpine amplifiers too.

Now speakers, Im guessing you have the 6 1/2" in the front and something like 5x7's in the back. The 5x7's will put out more midrange and lower frequencies than the fronts and you will probably hear the back speakers more than the front. So it would be important to get good rear speakers and the fronts (if you want to save money) could be less quality wise. My favorite speakers by far are Focal. But a good set of those are $$$$$$$$ They do make less expensive options and they sound slightly better than most speakers in my opinion. (I have them all around in my truck)

Go for some 5x7 coaxials in the rear for your midrange output and maybe get some good 6.5" components in the front for a crytstal clear sound quality. Again Alpine does make some pretty good speakers.

CD player you already have but for anyone else reading Ill share my experiences. I am a sound quality nut and I absolutely love having control over the sound settings beyond the simple bass and treble adjustments. That is why I went with the Pioneer head unit. Without installing a separate ten band equalizer, this was the best choice for me. With an adjustable5 band equalizer (each band has about 4 different ranges you can select from) I have the most control over the equalizer settings. I also have controll over the crossover settings for both the lows and the highs. Alpine decks are for the true sound enthusiasts. If you want to hear how it sounds naturally, this would be a good choice as there arent as many equalizer options on these units. Both brands are very good quality.

Now onto my rant about Sony Xplodes..... What a bunch of overblown marketing gimmicks!!! Every sony Xplode product I have heard is absolute garbage! Sure their subs can handle 1000 watts max but the sound quality is like bangin on a giant barrel of nails. Their head units put out more power than is necessary and speaker sound is distorted plus they have tendencies to break. If walmart carries it, its probably not that great...

Old 11-15-2007, 03:41 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two 12" rockfords sitting on my back seat and a power acustic 820 amp with rockford speakers and a JVC deck. it sounds decent. I bought a box that goes under the back seat. but it only fits 10's. so its just sitting under there empty for right now..

Old 11-15-2007, 03:58 PM
02dakotakid
Professional

KICKER or ECLIPSE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO....or maybe polk momos. they hit pretty hard

Old 11-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Billiam
Champion

I'm sittin with a JL 10 behind the seat with a 600 watt amp pushing it. Its sounds pretty damn good.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 PM
durangeddurango
Professional

I am running 2alpine type r 12's eclipse head unit with the Ipod interface, 2 kenwood amps, 1 rockford fosgate amp(highs) 4 polk audio 6x9's2-1 farad capacitors,1 junk battery,most of my wiring is 2gauge,lanzar high and mid doorspeakers.
so it's a mix and match system however there is no distortion at 128.6 db's.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: durangeddurango

I am running 2alpine type r 12's eclipse head unit with the Ipod interface, 2 kenwood amps, 1 rockford fosgate amp(highs) 4 polk audio 6x9's2-1 farad capacitors,1 junk battery,most of my wiring is 2gauge,lanzar high and mid doorspeakers.
so it's a mix and match system however there is no distortion at 128.6 db's.
now thats what i like to see. Those damn Type R's are outragous. I use to install for Best Buy, and on the side (still do) and i installed a single 12' Type R in a Firebird put it in the spot where the T Tops are suppost to go and had to test it within 10 secs after we tested it all the people in there houses around us came out bitching... Had it on mid range for about 10 secs to make sure we got everything hooked up, and charged the cap.

But ANYWAYS...

I have 2x 10" Alpine Type-E Subs in Truck boxs behind each one of my seats, with a 400wat Mono Alpine Amp, and a Kenwood Headunit with Fosgate powerfront and rear speakers. Sounds good to me. In a Single Cab Truck 2x 10's sound good...

Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 PM
klings designs
Captain

www.caraudioexpert.com

Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

10" is all id want in the truck, 12's get to muddy, try to get ur subs down to either 2 ohms, for ur speakers get a decent 4ch amp rms 50watts peak oh 75 to 100 be more than comprable, spen d the extra cash get mono amps.. bridging is the poor mans way...

my .000000000002

Old 11-16-2007, 12:24 AM
DAKAK

First off ALPINE is first rate. Second of all rockford was bad *** at first. They fell off for a couple years. Now it's all bad *** stuff again. All their stuff is underated, and comes with birth certificates with true ratings on it. The gear rarely comes back blown up or with defects.(Especially the power series) I know this because I'm an authorized dealerthis as well as Alpine(only F1 dealer in the state), Kennwood Excelon, Infinity, JBL, DEI, Kicker andMorel. About the putting more money into the rear speakers- Rear speakers are just for rear fill. Spend your money on a good componet set for your fronts. The goal of a good stereo system is to have a good front soundstage. You should be able to close your eyes and it sound like there is a band playing on a stage in front of you. As far as Alpine not having good EQ's, you just can't go with the cheap stuff. JL is a bad *** brand. No argument from me there. The only reason we don't carry JL is because, JL and Kicker are fierce competitors. We are the only authorized Kicker dealer in the state."I heard good things about Alpine amplifiers" "Alpine does make pretty good speakers too"Don't go to Best Buy looking for alpine because they carry all their low end stuff. You hear what you pay for. I had 6 Alpine type R 12's in my on clubcab Dakota, and there was nothing that could touch that. I'll post pics of my R/T when it's done.

Quick Reply: Sound Systems