2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Looking for advice for my up comming projects

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007 | 11:36 AM
RoaminGnome
|
All Star
Default Looking for advice for my up comming projects

Well as the New Hampshire winter rolls in I am thinking ahead to the spring (I really hate the winter) and to what projects I want to do for summer. Hear are a few of my thoughts.

*Replace clutch fan with an electric
*180 tstat
*autolight plugs
*fix my cancer infested tailgate [:@]
*gather the things needed to make bigger tires fit

I have seen that people use the autolight 3923 plugs. Are these the right plugs for my 3.9? Acording to summit racing they dont fit my engine. The tstat is easy and i have read enough that i can swear though the fan swap (just need suggestions as to what fan or what to look at for a fan).Any one have any suggestions on how to fix the rust spots on my tailgate? A friend at work used rubberized undercoat to fix the rust spots he had along the bottom of his chevy. He just did the whole bottom 8" or so (followed a factory ridge) and I thought it was stock untill a month or 2 ago. I have used it to stop the rust growing on my rear bumper (I'll post pics soon) and I was thinking of using that but I am up for suggestions.

I am just going to start collecting parts so i will be ready when the snow melts. Can any of you think of anything else i might have missed for mild performance? I do some off-roading but it still needs to be road/highway friendly.

Old 11-22-2007 | 11:54 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: Looking for advice for my up comming projects

there is a spray out there that is supposed to turn rust into black primer of some sort. I had a friend who used it years back and had nothing but good things to say about it. I have no personal experience with it though. the stuff your friend used, will it kill the rust? maybe you should look into the stuff I mentioned 1st, then spray the rubber coating on it so it doesnt eat it away under the coating.

on the 3923's... yes they fit, if you have them, leave them in.

Old 11-22-2007 | 01:12 PM
RoaminGnome
|
All Star

I dont have the plugs yet i was just making sure that those are the right ones before i order them. And your friends wonder spray is XOrust (not sure if thats how its spelled but thats the stuff). I have another friend that used it on his work van but i forgot all about it.

My buddie that used the undercoating cleaned the rust off then rubberized it. I would think that it would work as well as paint it done correctly. It just fades in 10-12 months or so. He just repaints it until he dumps his truck for something better

Old 11-22-2007 | 03:55 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Hmm sounds interesting I have some rust spots especially behind the rear wheels on the back. There is that patch from rocks hitting it. The problem is I have a silver bottom on my truck...

Old 11-22-2007 | 06:53 PM
RoaminGnome
|
All Star

well the rubberized undercoating would be sweet (i use the 3m stuff) for the wheel well. And if im not mistakin the undercoating is paintable as well

Old 11-22-2007 | 10:24 PM
RoaminGnome
|
All Star

Just thought of one i forgot. I want to put a V8 TB on my dak too. Anyone with advice on that would be appreciated as well

Old 11-22-2007 | 10:27 PM
User
Champion

a V8 TB is a 50mm bore. Would be perfect for the v6. It actually sizes down to 48mm but the actuall bore is 50mm, you will get better throttle response and mid-high range power, but loose very little low end, i upgraded mine to a 52mm so i have my stock 50mm laying around if you ever need one.

Old 11-23-2007 | 09:30 PM
RoaminGnome
|
All Star

So i asked my buddie at work and I lied the undercoat wont stop it like the XOrust stuff. It would work like paint would to prevent rust but you need to get rid of it 100% just like paint. Hes just took the easy way out for his aging 91' chevy WT1500.

Does the V8 TB just bolt on? I assume that it wouldnt and that i need something like a kit or an adapter to make it work.

Old 11-23-2007 | 09:37 PM
User
Champion

ORIGINAL: RoaminGnome

So i asked my buddie at work and I lied the undercoat wont stop it like the XOrust stuff. It would work like paint would to prevent rust but you need to get rid of it 100% just like paint. Hes just took the easy way out for his aging 91' chevy WT1500.

Does the V8 TB just bolt on? I assume that it wouldnt and that i need something like a kit or an adapter to make it work.
the TB will bolt right on the only thing i suggest is, buying a new gasket. Mine has everything you need to bolt it up or you can use the bolts you already have.

Old 11-23-2007 | 09:42 PM
RoaminGnome
|
All Star

Fantastic! And will my stock throttle cable work with it too?

Quick Reply: Looking for advice for my up comming projects