2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007 | 10:19 PM
4x4kota
|
Veteran
Default New topic

Ok so i know that a few of the regulars are tired of the same old questions over and over again, including myself. So heres a new one. I live in Ontario Canada, about half an hour from the border of buffalo.Today we got a killer storm that dumped about a foot of snow or more, with a layer of freezing rain underneath it all. The drive home from work was great and i was extremely impressed with the 4x4 capability. At one point i had to plow through snow drifts over the road that covered my hood, and the dak went through with no trouble at all. The problem was once i went through, my check gauges light came on and my battery gauge was at zero, and my blower (fan) shut off. than about 10 seconds later the gauge jumped back up to normal and the blower kicked back on. I know that my battery is only a year old, and the connections are ok. Knnowing this i thought whats the worst that could happen? Being about 2 mins from my house i thought i'd try to go through it again, and the same thing happened. The third time through on my way home it was fine. Anyone have any ideas? Also I wanna hear you stories too. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to ge thte whole story out.

Old 12-17-2007 | 02:07 AM
5 speed
Professional
Default RE: New topic

snow probley got packed under your hood and caused the belt to slip causing the alternator to not charger proerly

Old 12-17-2007 | 11:29 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

ya, it was probly snow getting under the hood and the belt slipping.

we got a good snow storm yesterday too. about a foot and a half. all the roads were closed around here and the plows never plowed any back streets. I was out driving in the deep snow for 3 hours. I burnt 1/2 a tank yesterday and I would ride close to the curbs to hit all the huge snow drifts. and I had to pull by buddies jeep outta the snow too. then I went out to my shop thats on the out side of town, and the back roads were drifted like hell. you couldnt even see the road, but I just plowed through it all no problem. and then I went out back behind my shop were the snow was 3-4' and I plowed through that. I love just hitting big snow drifts and snow flies everywhere that you can even see ahead of you anymore. I cant wait till we get another storm like that again

Old 12-18-2007 | 06:23 PM
4x4kota
|
Veteran

^ Haha yeah i was doin the same thing, had to swerve to make sure that i hit every drift. And that makes total sense about the belt slipping, it hasn't done it since, so I'm not worried. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 12-18-2007 | 07:59 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Sounds like the belt slipping. You would have probably heard it slipping though.

Old 12-18-2007 | 08:10 PM
ncranchero

Not to hijack the thread or get off topic but nice five-six Chris. Any more photos anywhere?

Old 12-19-2007 | 06:14 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ,ks i had a 99 that the splash shield under the rad. back to the k member, came off in deep water,and let water get on the ing. coil. stalling out. so if your truck is made to have a shield by all means keep it on. mine droped down and ground some of it off,if this happens to you you must get one that is not damaged, it will let water in. they have very cheep holders, so you may want to use wire ties in place of the cheep holders.
the best thing is to NOT go through water.

Quick Reply: New topic