2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power window regulator install

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:14 PM
kjun
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window regulator install

2002 QC. Replacing driver side window regulator/motor assembly.

I’ve removed and re-installed the original several times to re-string the regulator cables so I know the nuts and bolts of the remove and install. The re-string never lasted so I finally decided to replace the assembly with a new one. My question is on the motor. In my experience with the original before I installed it, I had to remove the motor from the regulator, power it up, hit the “down” button and let the motor run until it stopped basically setting the motor in the down position. Then after the restring, I would set the regulator in the down position basically syncing everything up. If I did not do that, it didn’t work properly.
The new regulator arrived assembled. But it is half way down instead of all the way down. It looks like I have to power it up and lower it to connect the window to the regulator. For a new regulator, do I need to remove the motor and sync it up like described above, or can I just slap it in, lower it enough to connect the window and be good to go. I’d rather not have to do the sync because it only opens up more potential for problems. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:21 PM
mplue
Rookie
Default RE: Power window regulator install

I have an '03 QC that I replaced the regulator on and don't recall having to do any of that. If anything, I may have powered it up and lowered it to get the glass back in the track. On my old regulater, there were two plastic guides that broke and the cable went all over the place. I never was successful at getting it working again, so ended up just replacing it. It took maybe an hour or less to take the old one out and put the new one in. Hope that helps.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:46 PM
kjun
Professional
Default RE: Power window regulator install

Thanks. You definitely would remember if you had to do that. Not sure what was up with the old one, but it was the only way to get it to work.

I'll just put the new one in and press on. I figured that was the way, but needed that reassurance.

Quick Reply: Power window regulator install