2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission fluid!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 PM
trjnrstlr07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid!!!

I want to get the fluids change on my truck I just took it in to a shop and the guy told me that if he went along with the flush and new filter that he could actually do damage to the truck ! is that true and if so what damage>? He sed it was cause of the high miles it has and I dont know when the last time it was changed cause I just bot it like 2 o 3 weeks ago... need feedback please and thank you ...
o its a v8 5.9 1999

Old 01-04-2008, 11:01 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Default RE: Transmission fluid!!!

Moe in Wichita Kansas
years ago chrysler trans tourquconverterhad a drain plug. if yours has one it wont need flushed, you can just drain the converter. ifa good working trans is drained and filter put in it shouldnt harm it. also i have heard that thenewer chryslers have a check valve at the rad in the coolant line, and if the trans goes bad, trash will cloog the check valve, and the fuild will stop, wiping out the new trans. this line is also the lube for the bearings in the trans. the best way the check that the coolant is flowing, is to use a lazer temp probe.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:56 AM
pwdrhaulr

Your shop guy is full of crap! If you're NOT having any issues with the operation of the tranny, then a complete fluid flush out and new filter won't be an issue. The only issue is the type of fluid. You may have to use a conventional type fluid (Dextron 3) and not a full synthetic because of high mileage and seal issues. Tranny's need oil changes just like engines do just not as often. If you have one, look at the owner's manual for recomended service intervals. Rule of thumb is generally change the tranny filter every 15k miles or once a year which ever comes first. Do a complete flush out of the torque convertor and tranny every 45 to 50k miles. That job, I recomend going to a lube shop that is capable of doing it. AAMCO comes to mind or Jiffy Lube or any OIL CHANGE SHOP that can handle it. I use my local Pronto Oil Change shop for it. They drain the tranny, swap out the filter and then using a machine filled with fresh fluid, disconnect a tranny cooling line and with pressure, push the fresh fluid in forcing the old fluid out. That way the torque convert gets new stuff also.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

full flush can "Overclean" the transmission this is what your shop was talking about if you have 50k + i wouldnt do a flush..

Old 01-10-2008, 07:31 PM
trjnrstlr07
Rookie

grrr so I dont do the flush ??? but Ihave no idea when the last time its ever bin serviced

Old 01-10-2008, 07:56 PM
jk240sx
Professional

i would not do a flush on a high mileage vehicle. if you aren't having any issues i wouldn't do it. My ex had a flush done on our(her's now) '96 Trooper at about 155K and sure enough all the seals started leaking shortly after. a year later she had to get her tranny rebuilt.

when the mechanic pulls the pan be there and see whats up. inspect the condition of the spent fluid and see how bad it is.

I never let hired wrenches do work in my absence. Of course i rarely hire wrenches.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:10 PM
noodle
Professional

I kind of had the same issue. My truck has 190000, the tranny is rebuilt but i didnt know how many miles were on it after being rebuilt so I was afraid to get a flush. I have heard so many bad things about them, some of my local shops won't do them on vehicles over 50,000 miles. So this is what I did, wasn't hard, wasn't a true flush, but it did get out all the old fluid and saved me alot of money.

I went to my local parts store, got 15 quarts of atf +4, and a filter/gasket kit.

I dropped the tranny pan and cleaned it up to look like new.

Put on the new gasket on and replaced the filter, put the pan back on.

I refilled the pan with 4-5 quarts, then disconnected the trans cooler return line and put it in a bucket to catch fluid.

I had a buddy start the truck, put it in gear, and as the return line was spraying out the old fluid in the tourque converter, i was pouring in the new fluid. Intermittently I would re-connect the return line and check the fluid level. I did this until i was through all 15 quarts. All the old fluid is out, the new fluid is in and at the proper level, so I am happy, it works, its not the best but I dont see any problems arriving because of it.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Radman
Rookie

Make 100 and 1 pecent sure that whoever does the job uses ATF+4 ONLY!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 07:13 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ks
direct your trans questions to
email orders: parts@areds.com
they will know the answer to ANY question you have, and the best parts. 90% of ALL trans shops get there parts from a & reds. i have known these people from the late 60s, they are honest.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my tranny flushed at 200,000kms and I'm at 219,000kms now with no problems. it shifts alot better and smoother.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid!!!