2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:54 PM
ricbrk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A dumb question

Has anyone ever had a Dakota ball joint apart ? I changed the oil & filter today on my 04Dakota, and rotated the tires. I was looking at the ball joints and wondered how thick the metal cap was covering the end ? Couldn't they be drilled, and a grease fitting screwed in ? If they were greasable, it would extend the life of the ball joints, and drilling that cover plate and putting a grease fitting in wouldn't be that hard if there were clearance to screw the fitting in. Myself and my friendJack Daniels, must go now and think up some more dumb stuff. I

Old 01-12-2008, 07:06 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A dumb question

I've heard of it being done. but just go buy some moog greasable BJ's

Old 01-12-2008, 10:04 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've heard that the ball joints, even if they were greasable, were still too weak to hold up to standards, which is why chrysler finally did recall them... of course if yours is an 04' your truck's ball joints should be better ones... who knows

Old 01-12-2008, 11:33 PM
4x4kota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months ago I would have thought this to be a good Idea, but now I think different. I just started a Co-op at TRW (steering and suspension) From what I've learned so far,the non greasable ball joints are designed way different than the greasable ones. If you put a grease fitting into a non greasable one, the grease won't be able to purge out of the seal like it is designed to on the greaseable ones. so if you do grease them, and the grease comes out, you have now wrecked your water tight seal, and the ball joint will fail prematuraly. If there is nothing wong with you ball joints right now, I would leave them. When they are in need of replacing, then I would decide if you want greasable ones or not, and buy the proper ones. There is a lot of engineering and testing involved in the production of both, don't mess with it. Just my 0.2

Quick Reply: A dumb question