2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Acceleration/hesitation issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Brymac76
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration/hesitation issue

Hey guys,
Hope someone can help or at least point me the right direction.

Ok so lately (i cannot duplicate this issue on command) when I'll be driving the Dak, sometimes when i have to accelerate hard all of a sudden the truck will hesitate but then will go back to normal.
anyone have a clue what it could be? Or have had the same issues?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:25 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Acceleration/hesitation issue

sounds like the tps (throttle position sensor) thats what happened to me.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Brymac76
Professional

Ya it does...i've actually replace my TPS once before because of that. There is a difference though, and maybe i should have clarified in my last post. When it startes to hesitate...it doesnt just die...it still seems like its accelerating. The last time my TPS went out it would just completely die for a second or two and would happen at random...weather i was on the highway cruisin or just accelerating. Also the last time i happend my Check Engine light came on right away.

I guess it could stil be the TPS...thanks for the advice....im just not totally convinced YET...

any other input or possibilities?

Mac

Old 01-30-2008, 03:15 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

ok and i doubt its this but when mine did that as well they found a fried pcm from teh steam cleaning that the detailer did before i bought it. mine was stubbling at times and throwing off random codes they replaced taht then the tps a week later so it was a combo of the two...like i said i doubt its that but something to think about if for some reason it was start throwing random codes.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Brymac76
Professional

I'm going to keep driving it (might as well since itstill runs) for a while and see if i cant duplicate it on command or figure out when it specifically does it.
Is the PCM part of the MAP? When my TPS went out the garage that worked on it replaced the MAP sensor as well...not sure if it was related or not...the Truck had 113k miles on it by that time so im sure it was due anyway.
thanks again for the help pit
mac

Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 PM
01dakv686
Professional

i would say the o2 sensors. i was having the same problem and it turned out to be the o2 sensors. Lovely set up with 4 o2 sensors, gotta love it. lol

Old 01-30-2008, 06:52 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

by pcm i mean main computer it woulda been like 800 bucks if i wouldn't have been under the warrenty still

Old 01-31-2008, 10:04 AM
4x4kota
Veteran

Just a thought, dirty injector? could be giving too much fuel (or dripping instead of spraying), or not enough fuel at times and running rich or lean throwing the light. Try a bottle of injector cleaner. It can't hurt, and it's cheap!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Brymac76
Professional

4x4Kota, You and i think alike...the first time it started hesitating i rana bottle of injector cleaner through it...but its still doing it.
Again the weird thing is that it doesnt do it regularly....very intermitant. It probably doesnt even do it enough for the regular person to even be concernd..but i know my truck well...i've had it since 98 and have put ALOT of miles on it..so i know when something is not quite right.
I wont bother takeing it to the shop till it does it on a regular basis cuz again like i said i cant duplicate it on command and the shop techs will just be like (shrug) "that'll be 40 dollars for looking at your truck and not finding anything wrong with it" lol.
thanks again for the advice...

Quick Reply: Acceleration/hesitation issue