2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine block heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:11 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine block heater

So i'm thinking about getting one they're only about 30-35 dollars online depending on where you look and i was just wondering how hard they are to install. Does it involve drilling into anything or what not or is there a spot for them already. 2000 4.7 club cab. Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 PM
mikec04
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine block heater

Generally, a block heater will replace a frost plug. There is usually a specific plug with the heating element pointed in a specific direction (12 o'clock, 1 o'clock, ect.)
some installations require the heater to be placed behind or very close to the motor mount. Best advise is to visit your favorite local parts store and look at the install instructions before purchase. There might be a cost savings buying it local (no shipping, ect)

Old 02-01-2008, 02:18 PM
SmokedRail07

You really don't need one.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:19 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

yeah i've decided after further reasearch that i think im gonna pass

Old 11-19-2008, 12:04 AM
jlampitt
Professional
Question When is block heater needed?

Found this thread after I've entertained putting one in my '03 Quad Cab. How cold does it need to be (on a consistent basis) to warrant putting one of these in?

I live in Colorado around the 6500' level. I'm not in the mountains, but it can still get butt cold around here.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

eh the main thing on a gas engine is for heat right as you start it or soon after...i was just looking into these again this week haha but decided again against it. i'd say it couldn't hurt though if your constantly below freezing...although a battery heat blanket might be more of a better choice because its harder on a battery when its damn cold out.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:57 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

i just put a winter front behind my grille and let the truck idle 5-10 minutes before going anywhere, gas mileage sucks but its warm, and better for your engine, you shouldnt drive them cold,
the temperature differential means your engine components are under stress since different metals expand/contract at different rates when hot or cold, so you wear components faster than under "normal" conditions.

so once the engine begins to warm, everything becomes "balanced" so everything wears as it was designed to.

gas engines dont need block heaters, and battery warmers are really only necessary when it gets around 0*F and stays there.

diesels only really need them because the fuel dosnt combust with a spark, so the temp needs to be higher.

at work we store the tractors we use in the winter inside, and we let them idle up after starting (after we pull them outside of course)

Old 11-19-2008, 11:52 PM
jlampitt
Professional

Thanks for the input!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:33 AM
big.bryant
Champion

yeah dude, i have started up on some pretty freaking cold mornings but have never found the need for a block heater... i wouldn't worry about it and if anything just get a new/better battery for those cold starts...

Old 11-20-2008, 12:35 AM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big.bryant
yeah dude, i have started up on some pretty freaking cold mornings but have never found the need for a block heater... i wouldn't worry about it and if anything just get a new/better battery for those cold starts...
optima FTW! seriously, think of it more as of an investment into your truck.

Quick Reply: Engine block heater