2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Suddenly Died, Choked, Black Smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Panzertech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suddenly Died, Choked, Black Smoke...

Does not sound like an O2 Sensor problem. If you start your engine from cold and it works fine off the get go then goes to crap then maybe however when first started vehicles start in Open Loop in the computer and bypass the O2 Sensor till the vehicle reaches operating temp for the o2sensor usually about a minute on an OBD2 engine sometime sooner. So if it starts just fine and idles good from cold then O2 is possible however I doubt it in your case. However black indicates excess fuel, Blue is oil.A stuck injector may or maynot throw a code however it will make you run like crap. A Leak down and compression test will rule out the rings and valves. However if I was a betting man I would say that you blew a headgasket my friend.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suddenly Died, Choked, Black Smoke...

moe in wichita ks
dry black smoke is gasoilne. if the plugs black coating is dry its gas. if its wet its oil. heres a true storythat happened to friend.
In Kansas it is common for farm trucks to have a fuel tank in the bed, so they can get the fuel to the combines, or other equipment in the field. Well a friend of mine, Bob. Has such a truck, he told this true story. Working second shift he gets off at 1:30 am. One night when he came to the parking lot, he found a car next to his truck. And two people trying to unlock the nozzle. And jabbering in Vietnamese. When they saw Bob, they started running around the truck, and yelling In Vietnamese. After a while he got them calmed down, and got them to understand that he would give them some fuel. After a while the tank was full. And they drove off. Bob was lafthing so hard he could hardly get into his truck, That’s right he put diesel fuel in a gasoline car. Then as Bob pulled out on the hiway he saw the car stalled.
I would like to hear the story told to the mechanic, as to why the car doesnt run.

Quick Reply: Suddenly Died, Choked, Black Smoke...