2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Doorlock help,please

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Luna
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doorlock help,please

Hey,all
I need some help...
A while ago someone tryed to break into my truck and damaged the driver side doorlock,now i can't use my key anymore.I've been trying to find a replacement lock,but i never thought that it would be so hard to do. I tryed to go to the dodge dealer,but they say it would cost me about 300$ to get it fixed.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or knows how i can get a lock for less money then that.I have a friend who can install it,so all i really need is the part.
Thanks so much!
Luna

Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 AM
RoaminGnome
All Star
Default RE: Doorlock help,please

silly question have you tried juckyards? The worst case is that it might not work but should be a LOT cheaper than from dodge. So even if you end up trying 2 or 3 times it will probably still be cheaper.

You should also keep in mind that you will probably need to have a key made for it as well. Hope this helps and keep us posted

Old 02-10-2008, 04:07 PM
hot_asphalt
Rookie

i have a rfiend that works at dodge and my whole rad support upper and lower was only $370 cdn. i can find out what deals he can get for you but i seriously doubt it'll be that high of a cost to you and shipping is realtively cheap. let me know if you still need the part and i'll talk to him tomorrow

Old 02-10-2008, 04:27 PM
skeeter0288
Professional

i bought an electric door lock kit with alarm off of ebay for about $50 a couple of years ago.if all they did was mess up the tumbler so you can't use a key,i would go that route-kit came with 2 key fobs,4 lock solenoids(bought the 4 door kit for extra solenoids) control modulewiring harness and instructions.also installed elecric window conversion at the same time for about $30.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Luna

Thank you all for your help.
I"ll check EBAY and will also see if i can find a junkyard nearby.....i'm just not sure if any lock will do or if one off of EBAY would work...but if it worked for you then i'll give it a try!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 AM
ricbrk
Professional

We had the same thing happen withmy wifesNissan Murano, and after going nuts trying to avoid the dealers $400 fix price, my buddy said to take it out and take it to a lock smith. They took the assembly apart and fixed it for under 30 bucks. If you go to a junk yard, unless you get both locks, you will have to carry at least one extra key, as the other door and ignition will use a different key.

Quick Reply: Doorlock help,please