2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brakes or maybe.......?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:10 AM
geoffb123
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes or maybe.......?

I know I need newbrakes,but I just want to make sure that what this noise is, is caused by my brakes and not someting else.But anyways,when I put the truck in drive and im going down the road I notice a cracking noise coming from the left front wheel. What it sounds like to me is almost like when you touch 2 electrical wires together and they make a cracking noise. Its most likely not electrical, but im just thinking that its coming from the brakes, seeing as they need to be replaced. Also, again while im driving, foot on the gas/or off, and no foot on the break, I can feel a rumble thats coming from the same area. Almost like metal against metal. It goes away at times, then comes back. I haven't noticed it in the past while, but lately its been back and it seems to be staying.

Any ideas/suggestions would help. Being as im not a very mechanical person.

Thanks in advance guys

Old 03-06-2008, 08:44 AM
4x4kota
Veteran
Default RE: Brakes or maybe.......?

I think the first thing to do is to jack the truck up and shake the wheel from top to bottom, then side to side. What you are checking for is any "Free Play" that might be there. If you have free play it could be a tie rod or ball joint, but I'm thinking that you may have a wheel bearing gone, hence the rumble. While the truck is up, pull the wheels and take a look at the brakes. If they are bad replace them and then road test again and see if that fixes any of the problems.
As an afterthought, you may have a stuck caliper, which is holding the brakes on making the rumble noise. Jack her up and take a look. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:07 PM
geoffb123
Veteran

I'll definitely be doing all of that. Thanks!

Before, me and my dad were checking over the truck and he did notice some "free play". The wheels did rock a little. So im guessing that its probably going to be tie rod or ball joint. How hard are those to replace?

Old 03-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Try doing a search about the ball joint/tie rods. This has been covered many times and you will also be able to find out how much people have paid/time it has taken to do. If you know you need to replace your brakes, why haven't you? If it is metal to metal, you will need new rotors as well.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:06 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

You could also check the wheel bearing. Mine kicked in slowly, i heard it only when I turned than one day it blew out...

Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 PM
geoffb123
Veteran

Well its an on and off kinda thing. For the rumble noise, and also the brakes. Im getting all the parts and changing them this week hopefully. Thanks alot guys.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 AM
ricbrk
Professional

I'll put my 2 cents on a wheel bearing.......

Old 03-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Usually if it was a wheel bearing it would do it contsantly. I say jack up one of the front wheels and turn it before you do the brakes. That will give you a better idea of where it is coming from.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:32 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

mabie ur brake sqealers? they can start and stop..depending if their hot or not..

Old 03-07-2008, 08:58 PM
geoffb123
Veteran

It usually starts, then stops. Like I said before, its not all the time. Hit and miss usually.

Quick Reply: Brakes or maybe.......?