2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

air bag light

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 AM
almarbd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bag light

Hello friends. I have a 04 Dakota V8 AWD. The last couple of days my air bag light has been comming on. I'll hear a chime and then the light will come on for about 15 seconds and then go out. This will happen sometimes once an hour or sometimes once every 2 minutes. Anyone know what this means and have a fix for it. Thanks in advance for any help i may receive on thisproblem.
Alex

Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 AM
ricbrk
Professional
Default RE: air bag light

If I turn the passenger side air bag off in my 04 Dakota using the dash switch, my air bag light will come on andchimeoccasionally, I guess to let me know it's off ? When I turn it back on it doesn't do it. I believe you will have to go to the dealer to retrieve the codes. Auto stores like auto zone will scan your computer, but I don't think they can do it for air bags ? You can take thenegative battery terminal off your battery, and wait 5 minutes for the resistor to discharge in the airbag system. Check the airbag fuses in the fuse box in the left side of the dash. Make sure their not blown or loose. If they are OK, the air bag module is in the center console by your gas pedal. CAREFULLY check and make sure the yellow wires are plugged into the module tight, and that they are not caught on anything that can cause them to move. A messed up clock spring in the steering column could be causing it also. A buddie of mine changed his steering rack, and didn't secure the steering wheel. It spun a couple times, and messed up his clockspring. After checkingfuses and module wiring, and making sure switch in dash is on,hook battery up and see if it still does it. If it does you may have to go to dealerso they can retrieve the codes. If you have the extended cab or regular cab, you have the dash switch to shut the passenger side air bag off, if you have the four door model, I don't believe theyput one in those. Chrysler saved three dollars not putting one in them.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:40 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

hit somthin blow the f***ers out, air bags are 50-50 ever had one come out on ya, talk about pointless, its like a damn cannon, that smell let me tell ya its a great time, while ur at it take the seat belts out, look at the facts on how many ppl they kill, some reason they don't talk about air bags and seat belts killing...hung my grandpa and at 60+ the seat belt isnt gna save you anyway, 5 point harnessyes, this crost your chest at a 45 degree bullshi* will most likley mess ya up good or in my g pas case hang ya!

just my .02

Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 AM
ricbrk
Professional

I like ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that response ......

Old 03-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

See if your cruise control works while the air bag light is on or if your horn works as well. It might be your clockspring going bad. It happened to me as well. Your symptoms are just what mine was doing when it first started.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:43 PM
almarbd

Thanks to all for the tips on my air bag light. I figured I'd try the easy stuff first. I disconnected the neg. battery cable. After 5 minutes I checked the fuses, they were O.K. The module by the gas pedal is hard to get to without dismantaling anything but pulling the carpet back some let me look in somewhat and from what I could see the wires seemed to be O.K. After about 20 minutes I connected the battery back up. As I was pulling out of the garage and going down the driveway the light came on and went off twice. I took about an hour drive with one stop and the light didn't come on again. I don't know if this means it's fixed or not, I'll have to wait and see. Ifit starts again I think the clock spring will be the next place to look. Thanks again to all.
Alex

Old 03-08-2008, 04:40 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

is it happening when you turn corners? if so then do as chris said, its about a 75 dollar part from the dealer, there is a yellow tab, dont remove that till ur done ull have a heck of a time

Quick Reply: air bag light