2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brakes

[:@]
on my way to the auto show, i got cut off, so i got on the brakes and hear a lovely GrInD.
so next day i change the pads and rotors, on the pass. side the inside pad was worn down to metal, hence the grind. but the outside one looked almost new. so i compress the caliper and all that, checked. not locked up anymore.

next day, go to work, stop at the stop sign, well, never stopped, pedal went right to the floor with no slowing down. good thing i was barely moving.
got home, came back after work, bled the front brakes. got some pedal back, but its still like a bowl of jello, foot goes to the floor, but i can stop,
and i'm constantly adding fluid.
i parked it in the shop at work and left it there all day, pumped the brakes a few times and so forth, no leaks.

i know the problem is most likely air in the lines, and its been getting better, as long as i keep fluid in it. but slowly

will the air work its way out with out having to bleed the brakes? i have no garage, and live in ohio. so work on the truck is minimal this time of year.

sorry for the long post, but i figured id answer as many questions as possible

Old 03-07-2008, 06:30 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: No brakes

it will not bleed out, you should change ur brake fluid every 50k, it breaks down, get a brake bleeder, or do as i do and get a 3' piece of clear tubing, open the bleeder pump away this keeps the air from going back in, you can also see when you have the old fluid out...

Old 03-07-2008, 07:09 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Default RE: No brakes

i'll have to see about that monday, if i'm not too busy at work i may be able to do it there.
where is the bleeder pump?

Quick Reply: No brakes