2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Suggestions on products please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:51 PM
greenweenie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggestions on products please?

I have a stock 2001 dakota without the towing package. So far the only mod I've done is muffler swap, and an FIPK will be coming soon. I've installed a hitch and have a wiring harness on order for the 7 pin plug.

So, besides adding a tranny cooler what other mods should I look into to make my truck perform better and increase reliability while towing? I don't tow heavy, but I tow a two place snowmobile trailer in the mountains and it can get a little hairy.

I was thinking about a shift kit? Anything else you guys recommend?

I'm also looking to install a LSD, does anyone know of any economical options?

Also, does anyone have any experience with rollaway locking bed covers?

Thanks guys.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:04 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions on products please?

ORIGINAL: greenweenie

I have a stock 2001 dakota without the towing package. So far the only mod I've done is muffler swap, and an FIPK will be coming soon. I've installed a hitch and have a wiring harness on order for the 7 pin plug.

So, besides adding a tranny cooler what other mods should I look into to make my truck perform better and increase reliability while towing? I don't tow heavy, but I tow a two place snowmobile trailer in the mountains and it can get a little hairy.

I was thinking about a shift kit? Anything else you guys recommend?

I'm also looking to install a LSD, does anyone know of any economical options?

Also, does anyone have any experience with rollaway locking bed covers?

Thanks guys.
If you want to make sure the tranny holds up, depending on your millage:
If you are around 125k, make sure it's strong if not, get it rebuilt, with a shift kit and heavy duty parts. Shift kits extend the life and cause harsher shifts which will help with the towing a bit.

Cut the one way valve in the tranny line. These can get clogged with metal and blow the hole thing up starving it of atf.... (yet another dumb design by dodge! Not sure if the 4.7's have them though)

LSD Depends on which one you do. Best bet would be find something like a dana 60, and put that in there, those lsd from dodges have a clip problem, ends up tearing the case apart.

Since your towing, you want top end, and couple of mods you can do are Cam's, and Rockers, these will give you low end, well the cam all depends on what style, but not sure what they have for 4.7's it's more for the 5.2 and 5.9, and since the 3.9 is based of these cams are relatively easy for places to make for 6 too.

Heads well you can do a lot of work on these. Ported and polished will help.

Top end, a throttle body, not sure about low end with these, might add a bit or lose a bit due to too much oxygen...

Fuel Rail Wrap, i haven't done this, but apparently it can free up some horses. Relatively easy to do and cheap.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on products please?