2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transfer case clicking

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
4x4kota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case clicking

Ok so heres the scoop. I did a search and didn't get too much. WHat I'm experiencing is that sometimes when engaging 4x4 from a dead stop (using electric transfer **** on dash) the light goes orange to show in gear, but when i go to take off, it's not quite in gear and clunks. When I put it in 4x4 while moving it's fine. Now recently it has started to grind and sometimes not go into gear from a dead stop, then it will engage. Now even worse, I was driving on the weekend, took about a 100 or so km trip, came home, then went out again. When I went out I could hear a clicking sound, to be best described as a hand winch with the manual stop that clicks over each tooth. It's mostly heard over 40 km/h. I had not used 4x4 in a few weeks when this symptom started. I also checked the fluid and added about 3/4 of a quart (this means that it was 1/2 empty)
Any thoughts on what is the cause? Is the chain stretched? Gears gone? bearing gone?

And if this is the case is it best to try to rebuild it myself, or pick up a used one from what i've seen $250-$700. Anyone know how much a rebuild kit would cost? I plan on taking it to a shop tonight to see what they think, and what they would charge. If it's an arm and a leg i'll see about doing it myself. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure that you got all the background info.
Thanks in advance. Ron

Old 03-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Ethica19
Rookie
Default RE: Transfer case clicking

had the same problem last year, I guess there was a leak somewhere and I ran it on low fluid. Mechanic told me it was gone, just to open it he'd charge me a bitand to rebuild was pretty expensive. I bought a rebuilt one online for 650 w/shipping included. They give you a 1 year unlimited milage warranty, I'd go with that instead

Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

ouch, yea ull see when ya open it its not gna be perdy, could have done a combination of all the things you stated..

Old 03-18-2008, 09:43 PM
4x4kota
Veteran

Ok so I took it to a shop around the corner. It's a guy that works on anything from big rigs, to farm machinery, to cars and trucks (He drives full size 4x4's) Really knowledgeable guy. He went around the block with me and at first could not hear what I was talking about. It is a quiet enought noise that when you turn the heat on mediumyou can not hear it due to our noisy blowers. He said not to worry about it too much until the noise changes any, it's probably a stretched chain due to the lack of lubrication, and the cahin is probably hitting the side of the case. So I'm gonna call around to a few wreckers and see if I can pick one up with low miles for the weekend. Has anyone swapped one out themselves? I have the FSM and it sounds like it's only a couple hour job. Besides marking the shafts, what else should I watch out for?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 PM
noodle
Professional

Id pull it out and try to fix it yourself. If its just the chain that is easy as pie.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 PM
4x4kota
Veteran

*Update* PIcked up a used Transfer Case from a wreckers for $350, no taxes. The donor truck had 53,000 Km's on it, so there shouldn't be any expected problems. Tonight I flushed some new fluid through it and will be doin the swap tomorrow night after work, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Transfer case clicking