2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

More than just a ball joint problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Smooth Dogfish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More than just a ball joint problem?

I had the now infamous "clunking noise" coming from the front end of my '02 Dakota, had the ball joints replaced a few weeks ago (before the recall officially came out), and still have the same noises, especially during low speed turns. I recently received my recall notification, and the truck is about to go back into the shop, but before I take it in, I would like to know if anyone else had ball joints replaced and found that this didn't relieve the problem?

Old 12-29-2004, 04:42 PM
woods1110
Default RE: More than just a ball joint problem?

I had my ball joints replaced in November and the problem seemed to me like it got worse...Although I have a 4x2 not a 4x4, so my isn't included in the recall...

Old 12-30-2004, 06:02 PM
tndb300

Hi,

I have a '98 dakota and I had the exact same problem! For six months, I had a clunking noise, and I replaced the ball joints and that just made things worse, now my ball joints broke again, and I'm getting a very embarrassing sqeaking noise on even the smallest of bumps. I brought it in to the shop down the road, and he told me that my shocks were causing the clunking. He said the shocks were hitting a part of metal on the frame of the truck, which caused also my ball joint problem, due to more stress on them. After another hefty 400$ (CAD) I got my shocks replaced and all four ball joints (upper and lower) and now it solved everything. No more noise. Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2004, 06:16 PM
darkrt
Professional

Don't forget to check those control arm bushings!

Quick Reply: More than just a ball joint problem?