2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

More Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:43 PM
crayfish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Codes

While investigating a CEL and playing with a friends scanner I came up with the following codes. P0100, P0012, P0004, P4800. Can anyone help decipher these?? I can't seem to find them on the web. The 0004 and 4800 cleared and didn't return but the others are still hanging around.

thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 PM
JasonA
Veteran
Default RE: More Codes

I'm not sure what the P0012 is. I mean, it's a valid code, but don't think it applies here. The definition for the code is: "Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 1 Timing Over-Retard". No 2nd generation Dakota has variable valve timing, so I'm not sure why you're getting that code. P0100 isdefined as a "MAF or VAF A Circuit Malfunction". I'm not sure which of these trucks have MAFs (my '97 does not), but yours might. A model year would be helpful. Any driveability symptoms?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:21 PM
crayfish

2004 Dakota Quadcab 4.7 V8. Seems to drive ok, maybe a little rough when climbing hills. At an idle it feels like it might be skipping but it hasn't reduced my gas mileage by much if any.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 PM
JasonA
Veteran

You are able to completely clear all the codes with the scanner, yes? Even with the ignition "off", I can hook the scanner up to my '97 and read and clear codes. I would try again to clear them all and see which come back, and under which conditions.

For example, if one comes back as soon as you turn the ignition on (engine not started), it's a good possibility that it's electrical. If the engine has to run for a while before the code appears, it's more than likely a lazy part that corresponds with that particular code. I'm particularly curious about your P0100, which is the MAF sensor circuit. Does your truck have a MAF sensor? I would check the connection and the wiring to that sensor.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 AM
crayfish

I can clear the codes with engine running and the skipping seems to smooth out right away. After only a few seconds the skipping comes back and so do the two codes. I'm not sure about the MAF. I got to get a book for the truck since it's out of warranty.

thanks

Old 03-28-2008, 09:22 AM
JasonA
Veteran

Even though the 2004 4.7L engine doesn't have variable valve timing, it certainly has at least one camshaft position sensor, and that appears to be what the P0012 code is. I'm not familiar with the 4.7L engine, though, so someone else is going to have to help you out on that. The P0100 code is for the MAF, and it should be relatively easy to check for a connection/wiring problem. Look carefully at the MAF sensor connection, maybe pull it out and re-connect it a few times. There may be a piece of dirt in there or something. You can even put a SMALL amount of dielectric grease in the terminals to stave off moisture and corrosion. That type of connector is usually a "weatherpack" connector (with a rubber seal), but stuff still gets dirty over time.

Quick Reply: More Codes