2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Looking for stock airbox

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:22 PM
scandal669
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for stock airbox

i have one, but i cut it out because it wouldnt just pop out for me. i put a flex hose to go straight out the grill instead of out the fender where there is no air going into it. anyway, ill send it forfree pluspostage if you want it. you can fix it by using a rubber connector from home depot or lowes, or just get a piece of flex hose and run it out the front or thru the hole in the fender, whichever you prefer. i paid 5 bucks for my hose in the heating dept at lowes...or go to a wrecking yard for a new one...message me if interested

Old 04-12-2008, 08:33 AM
JasonA
Veteran

Thanks guys. Scandal, can you take a picture of how you routed the air hose to the front, between the radiator and headlight? I think I see (on mine) where you must have put it, but just wanted to make sure. Is that location pretty protected from a driving rain? I know the stock air box is large enough that even if some water got into that tube, it'd be unlikely that any would get into the engine, but just a thought.

I've tried a few combinations of running a flex hose to the fender, but on my truck the A/C line is almost right in front of the air box opening, making a clean flex hose install very difficult. But I was also always trying to curve it around to the fender -- I bet I could run it straight forward like you did.

Johnny, thanks for the offer; if you run across it, PM or email me and I'll PayPal you the shipping costs for it.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:11 PM
scandal669
Veteran

ill explain what i did... got an aluminum flex tube, a 4" tube fits perfectly into the airbox opening http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...69/intake1.jpgand ran it at a slight angle downwards to the rubber flap, cut an "X" in the flap http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...69/intake2.jpgand then put a collector with a lip on it thru the "X" cut i made, then attatched the flex hose to that with a hose clamp, http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...69/intake3.jpg(i could have done a better job, it doesnt look real pretty, but you cant really see it from the outside anyway)the downward angle ismaybe 15 or20 degrees so water wouldnt run up the tube,and with the collector, there is a half inch lip that water would have to flow over to get into the tube,plus it sits back far enough from the grill opening that rain would have to be going practically sideways to get in. here is what it looks like from the outside... http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...69/intake4.jpg

i got this idea from watching the Barrett-Jackson auction one night. chevy did this to the 78 corvette and got 10 HP. it was a mid year improvement on that model. i have to say, it was the best 5 bucks i ever spent. i noticed a nice gain in power from about 1500 RPM's on up, better throttle response, and even a mile per gallon...

Old 04-12-2008, 01:48 PM
JasonA
Veteran

Thanks for those pics. Your air boxis different from mine -- my opening is 3.5", and it's hard to get the 4" tubing to clamp down onto it (because of the difference in diameter). I also had trouble getting the 4" tube to snake forward, next to the radiator, but it kind of works. I'd like to find some 3.5" tubing, but Ican't find any of that anywhere. You did a nice clean job at the front, where it passes through the rubber sealer.

You're sure your tubing is 4"? It's the standard clothes dryer vent tube stuff?

Old 04-12-2008, 02:04 PM
scandal669
Veteran

ORIGINAL: JasonA

Thanks for those pics. Your air boxis different from mine -- my opening is 3.5", and it's hard to get the 4" tubing to clamp down onto it (because of the difference in diameter). I also had trouble getting the 4" tube to snake forward, next to the radiator, but it kind of works. I'd like to find some 3.5" tubing, but Ican't find any of that anywhere. You did a nice clean job at the front, where it passes through the rubber sealer.

You're sure your tubing is 4"? It's the standard clothes dryer vent tube stuff?
yup, i just went out and remeasured it and it is 3 1/2", my bad. lol...i got that hose at Lowes in the heating and air conditioning dept. its stiffer than dryer vent hose but still very flexable. i forgot to mention, if you live in an area where there are alot of bugs you might want to put a little screen over the opening or you might have bugs filling your filter up. i have always changed my filter out a couple times a year anyway so i dont really worry about it myself.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:21 PM
JasonA
Veteran

Awesome. Okay...I took a pic of what mine looks like with the 4" hose, and it just wasn't working. Plus, yeah, it was flimsy. Here's a pic of the air box with the hose trying to attach to it:

That just wasn't workin' out and I'm not happy with it. I'll check Lowes in the HVAC department.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:40 PM
scandal669
Veteran

yeah i can see your problem here...the 3 1/2" hose fit right into the box and with the smaller diameter it ran around all the A/C stuff better. i think the way you have it would work, it just isnt quite as clean as using the smaller stiffer hose i guess. the stuff i got, you can bend it and it will stay bent and wont flop around too.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:23 PM
JasonA
Veteran

That stuff I used above is a stiffer-than-normal dryer hose, but it's still pretty fragile. I just got back from Lowes. I had to buy a 48" section of the flexible vent tubing for $20, but that's still cheaper than mailing an air box back and forth across the country and it'll end up fitting real nice. I'll post a pic when I get back out there to fix that later today.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:38 PM
scandal669
Veteran

hmmm, the piece i got was 2 feet i think...too bad you had to spend that much...looking forward to hearing how you like it and if it gave you any gains

Old 04-12-2008, 07:48 PM
JasonA
Veteran

We went for a ride tonight and I think it absolutely made a difference. What I had was the stock air box and the hole for the inlet and that's it (I had cut the snorkel off mine as well, before I figured out how to remove the air box leaving it on). So it was pulling a lot of hot air right off the radiator. I notice a difference after the truck is warmed up, and especially with A/C on. Performance doesn't degrade. It also does seem to have more snap. Thanks for the pics -- mine looks exactly like yours now, except for the connector at the front (I just left the open hose slightly poking through the rubber mat, and zip-tied it to the A/C condenser line).

Quick Reply: Looking for stock airbox