2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Looking for stock airbox

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:59 PM
scandal669
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for stock airbox

glad it worked for you. i have posted on a few other threads about trying this but nobody seems to want to try it. its a cheap thing to do i think and if it doesnt work for some people at least they arnt out a bunch of dollars

Old 04-13-2008, 07:49 PM
JasonA
Veteran

What I like about it is I can continue to use a paper air filter. I've provided some links in another thread that show the poor filtering capability of cotton gauze filters. I wouldn't mind trying my own intake setup, but I can't find a cone filter made of paper that'd be large enough for these engines. The 1991 Honda Prelude actually used a paper cone filter as the stock filter, and it's got a nice neck on it to which you can connect a hose, etc. It's also readily available from Fram, Purolator, Napa, etc. Problem is, the filtering area is about half of the filter area of the filter for our trucks. (TheCAI filtersI've seen for ourtrucks aren't much larger either than those Honda filters, by the way.) So I kept hitting a brick wall trying to do my own intake. I like being able to use a real air filter, AND get air that's as cold as possible...right from the grille. It works great.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 PM
scandal669
Veteran

i have a link somewhere that shows the air flow in CFM but cant find it...it does show that paper filters are good, anda close2nd best to filters like K&N. i usually use fram or purolator myself and figure that over a 5 year span im spending about the same as if i went and got a K&N, so it isnt worth it price wise for the K&N to me. i think the little bit of extra flow a person will get froma K&N wont be noticable anyway.

i also thought about those cone cai setups with the hose coming out the end and out the grill, i think from the looks of it, that would be the way to go, and id also want to use a paper filter too, instead of the gauze type. i think if someone wanted to put one of those together themselves, they could do it for less than $50...i might try that sometime but wonder if i will really notice a difference. i hate wasting money on things that dont show results, sofor nowthis hose out the front setup will do

Old 04-14-2008, 12:38 PM
JasonA
Veteran

Look at this website: http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

The K&N filter had the absolute lowest restriction (4.54") compared with the worst in terms of restriction (ACDelco, at 6.23). Lower restriction = good for performance.

Conversely, the ACDelco filterpassed, by far, the least amount of dirt, and the K&N was second to worst. Lower amounts of dirt passed = good for engine durability.

To me, that's the key. I'm not going to sacrifice the health of my engine (or at least put it at risk) by using an air filter that might net me 3-5 HP at 5000 RPM (if that). I've seen too many examples on BITOG (BobIsTheOilGuy.com) where guys running cotton-gauze filters find a lot of silicon in their used oil analyses. There's also an air filter test at www.bobistheoilguy.com that at correlates to these results.

I tried a few custom tube setups on my truck before going back to the stock air box. I was disappointed in them. I couldn't feel any positive difference, and indeed, lost some off-idle throttle response. The flow dynamics in the stock air box must be optimized for the engine (surprise, surprise!), and I was getting some odd resonances by monkeying around with that. I felt the most gain by going back to stock, and simply pulling cold air from the grille, per your suggestion.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:55 PM
scandal669
Veteran

awesome link! i guess im going to buy ACDelco filters nowdid that site do a test on oil filters too?on this forum, i have seen guys go back to the factory setups because they said the aftermarket CAI's didnt do anything for them and some have said that they actually decreased performance. that was a good enough reason to me to stick with what i have.

Quick Reply: Looking for stock airbox