2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power Door Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:19 PM
02silverquad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Door Lock Problem

My power door locks unlock all by themselves. All the time. Even when I'm not in the truck sometimes! It's irritating to say the least to have the darn things unlocking and unlocking while I drive around.

I've taken the batteries out of the remotes, and they still do it. I've unplugged the door lock switches and they still do it. I've disabled the automatic lock function and they still do it.

Any ideas?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 AM
ricbrk
Professional
Default RE: Power Door Lock Problem

Have you considered a exorcism ?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:02 AM
02silverquad

(LOL) I actually found the answer here in one of the other forums. There's a TSB out that recommends replacement of the lock cylinders - apparently they get moisture in which causes a false "unlock". I'm going to try some WD-40 first, and if that doesn't work I'll have to spend the bucks for a real fix. Unless I can get Dodge to do it under warranty.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:01 AM
02silverquad

(sigh) Limited success with the WD-40. It did displace the water and stop the problem, but as I'm driving through the rain the problem returns.

Any other ideas besides replacement? It's not the money - it's the time!

Old 03-07-2009, 08:03 AM
02silverquad
Default Related to heater blower motor! Unbelievable.

For months I've soaked the locks with WD-40 and other oils, hoping to displace water. It seemed to work. Sometimes. And other times not.

A couple weeks ago, my heater blower stopped working. After research, I found that the problem was probably related to the blower motor resistor.

I pulled the resistor to examine it, and found that there was one contact that was badly corroded. I cleaned the contact and the socket, and put it back together. The blower motor worked fine again, and the door locks stopped unlocking themselves.

It seems that power door locks unlock automatically when there is a sufficient drop in voltage mimicking a dead battery. The corrosion apparently whacked the voltage that the door lock system is monitoring, and caused the locks to repeatedly unlock themselves.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to create a sophisticated electronic system in a truck.

Quick Reply: Power Door Lock Problem