2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'04 QC brake question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Brummo
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 QC brake question

So this may be long. Have a rear brake issue on my 04 4.7.Leftrear got hot (300 deg. or so)due to what I assume was a hung-up parking brake. The parking brake is free now, but the disk is still heating up. the hub is not quite as hot as the disk where the regular pads run. So tonight I took of the caliper and pressed it back and installed back on the truck. Still getting hot on the disk. Was around 280 deg after a 10 mile jaunt. The other rear was only about 90-100 deg. Now what would cause this drastic heat difference. Could the caliper still be stiking even after I had pressed it back? I am pretty mechanically inclined, but this is just confusing to me as I have never had brake do this before after pressing back.
Any advice is appreciated Thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 11:34 PM
ricbrk
Professional
Default RE: '04 QC brake question

Sounds like a sticking caliper. Did you check your parking brake on that side, is the cable releasing.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:41 AM
Brummo
Captain

yes, i did check the parking and fixed that, it's still doing it after the fact, but my main question would be if the heat some how damaged the caliper from functioning properly. I could get the caliper to compress to get the brakes out, but am wondering if it is not backing off enough.
What do ya think?
Should i keep freeing it up a few times?
thanks

Old 04-02-2008, 06:03 AM
ricbrk
Professional

The caliper could still be sticking. The rotor may be warped also. Put a floor jack under the differential, and lift both wheels off the ground in neutral. See if the passenger side turns free compared to the drivers.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Brummo
Captain

Still heating up. Keep taking off and pressing piston back and re-installing. went for an oil change for advise, but they wouldn't look at it. would cost $36 to just take off the wheel. Ripp -off!! I've been doing it myself for way less than SIX BUCK A LUG. I can get the caliper for a reasonable price, but if I needed the Rubber hose to the caliper, how in God's name would you change that out? Going to try bleeding to see if it helps. THis is just weird.
Thanks again
Rob

Old 04-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Brummo
Captain

Did some more playing around and have it deducted to a probable caliper. The caliper dosn't release after the bleeder valve is opened. must be real tight in there from the heat.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:42 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ks
check the pistons, some times they are made of plistic and will hang up holding the pads on.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Brummo
Captain

Not sure what plastic pistons you are referring to, but I'll look at the old caliper again when I replace it. Hope that is the problem. The truck only has 35000 on it. I suppose whenthe brakes get that hot lots of things can happen.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Brummo
Captain

Just to let everyone know, it was a caliper that cured the problem. THanks to everyone.
later

Quick Reply: '04 QC brake question