2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

This Bites! (Exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 02:51 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This Bites! (Exhaust)

to bulky...

Old 04-05-2008, 08:18 AM
JasonA
Veteran

Mine has a Flowmaster 40-series, single in, dual out, with dual pipes straight out the back. When I first learned that it had a Flowmaster (before I bought it), I thought "great, this thing is going to blow us out of the cab). It's surprisingly quiet inside. With the windows up, you can hardly hear it -- it's about as loud as a stock Camaro or Corvette inside (not intrusive at all). With the windows down, it sounds nice and throaty. If you stand behind it when you start it, it sounds like an old 440 with a big cam. It's much louder from the outside than it is on the inside. I think the pipes are 2" or 2.25" from the muffler on back, with something like 3" trumpets out the bumper.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:41 AM
slvr4.7

Sorry to leave you all hanging. I got the single in/out with 3" piping and a 3.5" tip. It was the only one available for the 03 QC 4.7. I had a flowmaster 70 single in/out on my 4.6 Expedition and should have gone with that again. This sounds like a 40 series with dual 4" tips (my buddy has that setup). Here is a copy of the email I sent to Magnaflow on Thursday and haven't heard anything yet:

I just installed a cat back exhaust (15739) on my 2003 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab 4.7L and could not be more disappointed. First off, the pipe goes all
the way inside the tip and you can see it from the outside. Second, The hanger/clamp that goes on the front of the muffler is about 12" away from where the stock double mount is. Third I had to remove the stock double mount because the pipe was hitting hitting it. Fourth, The intermediate pipe hits the heat shield on the bottom of the truck and rattles. Fifth, I was expecting band clamps just like every magnaflow system I have ever seen installed on TV has, not the cheap u-bolt clamps. Last, this muffler is so loud my ears are ringing. My truck sounds the same as if it had no muffler. I know this because I started it up and drove around the block without it before I installed this system. I wanted the "smooth-deep tone", not a race car sound. Im sorry if I seem a bit irritated, but I just waited 3 weeks, spent over $500, and am completely unhappy.

Quick Reply: This Bites! (Exhaust)