2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Thinking about getting a CAI

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:22 PM
murdoc chongo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about getting a CAI

I put a K&N on my 3.9 and i noticed a significant difference and I had the K&N drop-in before the intake. I noticed an increase in throttle response and sound even with a stock exhaust.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:51 PM
JasonA
Veteran

ORIGINAL: slvr4.7

They have the oiled ones which are blue, and then they have the Pro Dry-S which is white and does not need to be oiled and does not need any special chemicals for cleaning. They make a drop in for the Pro Dry-S too. You have to go to the AFE site and select your year, make, and model.
Okay, thanks -- that Pro Dry-S seems interesting. After owning a few K&N filters, I won't go back to oiled cotton-gauze, but that dry filter looks interesting.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Jason, what problems (if any) did you have with the oiled filters? I've been running them for years and they all work great and seem to hold up pretty good.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
JasonA
Veteran

I admit it, I read BITOG (BobIsTheOilGuy.com)...a LOT. Anytime anyone has a high silicon content in their UOA, folks ask if they're running a K&N air filter. It appears to be pretty well-accepted that cotton-gauze filters compromise filtering ability for ultimate air flow capacity. I believe a filter should be chosen for what it is -- a filter. Besides that, I've ran K&N filters on a few cars before and don't feel they were worth the cost. I saw a trade-off of loss of low-RPM response for upper-RPM power. Very little of my driving is done at WOT near redline, so I didn't see the performance benefit. They did make noise, though. I don't believe the factory under-sizes air filters. If you can prove that the air filter is a restriction to the engine by installing a vacuum gauge in the intake system downstream of the filter, then you may be on to something.

A paper filter should reasonably last a good 30,000-50,000 miles (despite how often Fram tells you to replace them). Over the period of 200,000 miles, a cheaper cotton-gauze filter might pay for itself, just in terms of pure cost. But I still don't like what I see in terms of their filtering ability.

Here is an air filter test from BITOG: www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm I don't get very excited looking at those cotton-gauze patches.

And here's another one: http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm Again, if you believe that a filter's #1 function is to filter, it doesn't look good for oiled cotton-gauze.

The build quality of the K&N product appears to be very good. I'm not going to argue with that. It may be worth the price to some. It's all what you prioritize. Personally, I choose a filter based on how well it filters, and for that, paper is as good as it gets. The facts are pretty clear. Does cotton-gauze out-flow paper? Yes. Does it pass more dirt? Yes. What any individual decides from here is up to their own priorities.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a CAI