2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Car vent/airconditionign smells like coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:17 AM
owns
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car vent/airconditionign smells like coolant...

So the fan/airconditioning output of my truck has been smelling lightly to semi distinctively of coolant for the past few months. No visible coolant leaks, and no temperature issues with the truck. The coolant level is maintaining fine.

About 8 months ago I redid the plenum gasket on the intake manifold, and all other corresponding gaskets in the process of taking the intake manifold on and off. Just wondering if you guys have any idea what the issue could be related to? It's really bothersome, and the smell is bothersome to me. I'd like my car to smell nice, as I'm bringing ladies home in it and all!

Thanks everyone in advance, I appreciate any and or all input.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:50 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Car vent/airconditionign smells like coolant...

You probably poped your heatercore.. its behind the dash, and most of the time it leaks on the passanger side floor board somtimes you cant see it.

Also does it smell worse when your WOT?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:56 AM
dragon8master
Professional

Yes, I was going to suggest heater core/ac evaporator. My a/c didn't work when I got my truck last august, so I took it to get charged and leak tested. No leaking under hood, but stunk really bad and a couple days later my passenger side slush mat was full of the green stuff. I'm still debating on whether it's worth either spending a day pulling the dash apart and spending a couple hundred on parts, or just paying the garage about a grand to do it for me, just to have a/c. I've had other cars that didn't havea/c and gotten along just fine. Oh, and once I found that I had that huge leak, I just unplugged the compressor and taped off the connections. No more stink. I also just left a pile of paper towels shoved up under the dash and changed them every couple days until they came out still all white, no green. Don't know if any of this will help you, but there's my story.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:40 AM
300exoh
Rookie

Check your timing cover, thermostat housing and water pump for leaks also. I was smelling coolant in my truck for several months but couldn't find the leak until it finally got worse and started to loose coolant. For the longest time I thought it could be the heater core since I could smell it in the cab but I never could find anything wrong with it. I ended up finding out that it was leaking just off the upper left corner of the timing cover and running down the block. I spent most of the day yesterday helping a friend change my timing cover gasket and so far the coolant smell has gone away. Somehow the coolant smell was making it's way into the HVAC system and making me think it was the heater core.

Quick Reply: Car vent/airconditionign smells like coolant...