2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Summer upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:58 PM
V8Boss
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer upgrades

It's getting warmer and I'm looking at some upgrades and need some advice. I'm looking at going from the 3.93 gears to the 4.10 gears but I dont know if its possible with a 4x4. Any input would be great. Also, I bought some diamond cut headlights off eBay two summers ago and the plastic turned yellow. I dont know if it was a bad batch of plastic or what but I am looking at replacing them with these Headlights but I dont want them to turn yellow, too. If anyone has experience with those headlights or any other ones that they have bought off eBay, I'd like to hear what you have to say. Thanks in advance.

Oh one more thing...how can I find out what kind of diff (Dana blah blah blah) I have? I have looked all over online but cant find any info that tells me exactly what I have.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Summer upgrades

ORIGINAL: V8Boss

It's getting warmer and I'm looking at some upgrades and need some advice. I'm looking at going from the 3.93 gears to the 4.10 gears but I dont know if its possible with a 4x4. Any input would be great. Also, I bought some diamond cut headlights off eBay two summers ago and the plastic turned yellow. I dont know if it was a bad batch of plastic or what but I am looking at replacing them with these Headlights but I dont want them to turn yellow, too. If anyone has experience with those headlights or any other ones that they have bought off eBay, I'd like to hear what you have to say. Thanks in advance.

Oh one more thing...how can I find out what kind of diff (Dana blah blah blah) I have? I have looked all over online but cant find any info that tells me exactly what I have.

Rear diff count the number of bolts if it's 10 i believe it's the 8.25 or is it 9? I think it's 10, other wise it's the 9.25 rear.

You can also check your glove box there should be a data sheet. Gears aren't impossible to change but it is costly in a 4x4 because you have to do rear and front diff.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:45 PM
spencea15
Record Breaker

10 bolt is 8.25 and 12 bolt is a 9.25 axle

Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all ebay headlights are made of cheap plastic, so they will start to yellow after acouple years. and 3.93 to 4.10's isnt really worth the money. you will not notice that much of a difference. you could go to 4.56's and that would make a better difference for the money.

and you can find what diff you have on the sticker in your glove box.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ks
summer upgrade? mine is going to be getting the cooling system serviced, so it doesnt overheat. fall /winter? if you have a cap and rotor, replace both each fall, and block off the vent in the cap, j b weld works for this. this keeps condensation out. which causes LOTS of trouble. i did have this trouble years ago, untill i started changing the cap and rotor each fall, and blocking the vent off.no more trouble now.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:08 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you sand with some low grit sandpaper then spray some clear on those headlights when you get them they shouldn't yellow or it will slow the process down.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:39 AM
geoffb123
Veteran

I have the other halo projector headlights. And they put out ALOT of light. I haven't used high beam in a long time. Low beam is just so bright and its perfect. Doesn't even blind oncoming traffic. Looks pretty sweet to at night.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 AM
JasonA
Veteran

I thought briefly of buying lights on eBay, but am also not sure of the quality. There's typically a reason they're on eBay. The stock lights on my '97 are still good...slightly yellowish. A $15 Permatex kit will fix 'em right up, and they'll be good for another 10 years.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
geoffb123
Veteran

The quality of the ones I have are really good. Haven't noticed any yellowing at all.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:19 PM
V8Boss
Professional

I never thought about going to the 4.56's, Johnny, but I'll look into it.

Geoff, could you link the headlights that you have? Sounds like they will be a lot more promissing than the diamond cut ones I bought. The ones I bought started noticeably yellowing after about 3 months which is a little sudden. As you can imagine, I'm a little hesitant about buy some more off eBay. It's too bad that eBay is pretty much the only place you can find these kind of upgrades.

Moe, I'm not talking about winterizing/summerizing. I meant that since its getting warmer, its time to start working on making my truck better. Thanks for the advice though.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Quick Reply: Summer upgrades