2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Squeaking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 AM
geoffb123
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking?

Recently I just replaced the pads on the dakota. I used Raybestos pads. Just recently i've noticed that I hear a light soft squeaking coming from the front of the truck. But its ONLY when im not on the brakes. As soon as I hit the brakes it goes away. Anyone got any ideas? It has to do with the brakes, just not sure what is causing it.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2008, 06:16 AM
ricbrk
Professional
Default RE: Squeaking?

Rotor's ? Did you check them or get them cut ?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Could be a caliper sticking.. Rebleed the brakes...

Old 04-10-2008, 11:39 AM
JasonA
Veteran

I put Raybestos QuietStop Ceramic pads on our former Dodge Grand Caravan, and for the first few weeks, I heard a few noises and had some dusting from them. But after that, they got quiet and dust-free. There seemed to be a break-in period to them. Not sure if you put the same ones on yours, but you may wait some and see if it goes away. Sounds like some dust or something that might soon get washed away.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

Happen to use Brake Quiet on the back pads at all? Sometimes it's needed.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:40 PM
BadBenz94
Veteran

I agree.

I just did the brakes on my Dak and I use the lubricant on the back of the brake pads, the portion where the pad slides on the caliper braket and on the bolts themselves. The synthetic stuff is kind of expensive(about $17) but will last you for the rest of your life! I have never had a squeek or problem after using the stuff.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
300exoh
Rookie

Like stated above...the caliper isn't releasing cmpletely...Sounds like you need to lube the slide pins that hold the caliper on. I would also put some on the spindle where the caliper/pads ride (on either side of the caliper).

Old 04-10-2008, 03:07 PM
NatesDakota

Well im still running my stock pads but holy hell do they sqeak! The lightest amount of pressure put on the brake pedal...without the light coming on even...and it goes away....I have taken it to canadian tire and the stealer dodge.....just payed $$ and had my sqeak back! I have de-glazed myself and that work for a really short time....im at my wits end....I dont want to change pads becaue their fine but I might have too.....it also comes from front and rear....damn cheap pads....

Old 04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
NatesDakota

I wanna know about this brake quite stuff.....do you take the actual pads off and apply or can you do it while the caliper and pads are still installed?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:55 PM
geoffb123
Veteran

I noticed ALOt of brake dust. I replaced the hub at the same time I did the brakes, and after I did that I got ALOT of brake dust. I was scared the hub was going again. I never checked the rotors. I never used any of the lube. I'll keep driving it for about 1-2 more weeks and see what happens. If it still happens then I'll check the caliper and try using some of that lube that you guys are talking about. I really started to notice a big drop in the brake dust in the past few days.

Thanks for all the quick replys guys. This really helps me out alot.

Quick Reply: Squeaking?