2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 04:51 PM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Headers

Ok, I'll check them out also, just had never heard of flowsound and sometimes you get what you pay for.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:30 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spintech all the way..

Old 04-13-2008, 05:01 PM
scandal669
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rpowell

Ok, I'll check them out also, just had never heard of flowsound and sometimes you get what you pay for.
i know what you mean, i try and be carefull when buying off brand stuff too. cant really mess up a muffler too much tho, there isnt much to it

Old 04-13-2008, 08:00 PM
JasonA
Veteran

ORIGINAL: scandal669

i know what you mean, i try and be carefull when buying off brand stuff too. cant really mess up a muffler too much tho, there isnt much to it
Construction can be poor (poor welds, poor materials), and a lot of money goes into tuning mufflers. Most all muffler companies advertise how well their mufflers are tuned to reduce resonance and droning. I would do a lot of research into an off-brand before I bought it. A lot of off-brands are designed to look like major brands (and the names are even similar), but their materials mightbe sub-par andmaybe they're made in China. You never know. Just do your homework first. Good luck.

In my opinion, saving 100 bucksright nowisn't worth it if, in the long run, you either spend more money to fix it, or live with an exhaust that you don't like. My personal advice is buy a major label muffler (which ever brand you like) and go have an exhaust shop custom-make you an exhaust. It will cost more up front, but as with most things in life, I think you get what you pay for...and what's cheaper up front is rarely the good, long-lasting solution.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:59 AM
scandal669
Veteran

ORIGINAL: JasonA

ORIGINAL: scandal669

Construction can be poor (poor welds, poor materials), and a lot of money goes into tuning mufflers. Most all muffler companies advertise how well their mufflers are tuned to reduce resonance and droning. I would do a lot of research into an off-brand before I bought it. A lot of off-brands are designed to look like major brands (and the names are even similar), but their materials mightbe sub-par andmaybe they're made in China. You never know. Just do your homework first. Good luck.

In my opinion, saving 100 bucksright nowisn't worth it if, in the long run, you either spend more money to fix it, or live with an exhaust that you don't like. My personal advice is buy a major label muffler (which ever brand you like) and go have an exhaust shop custom-make you an exhaust. It will cost more up front, but as with most things in life, I think you get what you pay for...and what's cheaper up front is rarely the good, long-lasting solution.
i agree 100% on what you say about off brand knockoffs, they can be poorly made. i havent done much research on flowsound mufflers and cant find alot on them anyway, but have seen on some mustang forums that they are pretty decent and most people were happy with them. to be honest, i usually dont own a vehicle for any more than about 5 years or soanyway, by that time its about time for a change or an upgrade to me so if i can save a couple hundred bucks and be happy for that length of time its all good to me...on the other hand, if i just fall in love with this truck and after having it for 5 years or so and want to do major restoring or overhauling, like an engine and all that, then at that time i can upgrade to top of the line parts when needed. why spend alot on something that will last me 10 years when i wont even have it that long, its like me buying something for the next guy. its alsolike the guy that probably spent 500 bucks on your exhaust system and only got a couple or so years of enjoyment out of it and then handed it to you.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:49 PM
JasonA
Veteran

Flowsound is made by Jones Exhaust. An acquaintenance from the Cadillac world (I also have an STS) uses those on his cars, and brags about them a lot. I don't think anyone else on the Caddy forum has used them, but I do know he likes them. They were louder and raspier than most mufflers, at least on his car. If you want it loud, I think that would be the ticket. His name is "cadillacetc1997", he's got videos of his exhaust on YouTube. I can't search it now because YouTube is a blocked domain name onmy workcomputer system.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:26 PM
scandal669
Veteran

i found the link to the cadillac guy...its kind of loud and i wish i could here it out on the road rather than just revving it in the driveway. i wonder if it would sound different on my truck with a single muffler...the same muffler sounds different on different cars i know...if its half the price of a flowmaster, id be happy with it.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:51 PM
JasonA
Veteran

The Northstar engine sounds morelike an '80s Camaro with the exhaust opened up (kind of a higher-pitched hollow tone). My truck has a very low, smooth, and mellow burble. Tell you what, I'll get a video clip of it tonight with our digicam and I'll try to post that somewhere. Then at least you can hear what mine sounds like, and at least try to compare it with other Dodge 318 exhaust clips (if any are out there).

Old 04-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Dodge Rules
Professional

sorry everyone i guess that would help it is 3.9L extended cab 2X4 if i did not note that. thankyou.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Dodge Rules
Professional

Okay from what i have read from all of you thank you by the way. Here is my plan i am either going to swap the 3.9 and put a 5.9 in so that is one option. or since gas is getting higher i was thinking of just keeping the V6 and just hop it up. Twin turbo setup full exhaust sytem header and catback system. also the intake TB spacer and a chip. and definitely some engine work and while i am in the engine i am planning on upgrading some things. if i could get some feed back on this that would be great.

Quick Reply: Headers