2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

running rough

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 PM
mschief47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running rough

all ideas welcome! Have a '98 dodge dakota 4cyl. 5 speed. about 140k miles. It started running rough a couple of weeks ago, and has gotten worse (only when it warms up). At first I thought it had water in the gas, not that. changed plugs, rotor and cap, no help, changed coil, nope, changed distributor (mechanic thought it was the electronic pickup) as soon as it warmed up it started 'bucking' again, now it's back firing too. All the tests he's done shows electrical. Anyone run across this before?
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 PM
snooper386
Default RE: running rough

all i have for you right now is check your throttle body. i need a little more info to get a better detail of whats happening. like what kind of codes and what your mechanic accually thinks it is. but for right now is check your throttle body and get a can of B12 carb cleaner and clean your throttle body. hold the throttle fully open and let it dry. then start the truck up and use the straw to focus the stream down the idle air motor to clean it. it will try to die but keep it running with one hand on the throttle valve and spray the rest of the can down the manifold to clean the valves. try this this what i do to my truck once a month to keep it clean. it cant hurt to try it

Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mschief47

all ideas welcome! Have a '98 dodge dakota 4cyl. 5 speed. about 140k miles. It started running rough a couple of weeks ago, and has gotten worse (only when it warms up). At first I thought it had water in the gas, not that. changed plugs, rotor and cap, no help, changed coil, nope, changed distributor (mechanic thought it was the electronic pickup) as soon as it warmed up it started 'bucking' again, now it's back firing too. All the tests he's done shows electrical. Anyone run across this before?
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Hook up a timing light to the coil wire leading to the distributor. See if it's on a LOT, or flickers kinda of...

It it's barely on and getting no spark. It's probably a crank or cam sensor... I just have a crank sensor go on mine. Sometimes they get dirty and still work , but give wrong readings.... The crank sensor is a pain to get at, but not sure how it's on a i4...

Also, check your head gasket.... Could be that too. But Im guessing a mechanic would have checked the oil/coolant already. (But you never know...)

Old 04-29-2008, 06:44 AM
mschief47

Thanks for the ideas. Usually nothing stumps him. I'll pass along your ideas.
I probably should have added to the original post that it's the dakota sport and is fuel injected.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:52 AM
mschief47

The cam/crank sensor idea, would that only happen when it was warm??

Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 AM
chris1974
Veteran

140 k huh? Have you done a compression check? Just an idea- don't know that it would be related to your problem.....

Old 04-29-2008, 10:28 AM
moe7404
Record Breaker

this may not fix your trouble but on a high mileage engine mmo might help.
moe in wichita ks
if you use marvel mystery oil in each tank of gas. you will Not need to add fuel system cleaner at all. mmo will KEEP fuel system clean, and it will lube the fuel pump, injectors, valves, piston rings. heard a story about a guy that had an airplain, that he used mmo. the faa said it must get an overhaul. when it was taken apart the mechenics said that it DIDNT need overhauled, it was clean as new. mmo should seal the rings, and reduce oil comsumtion. on my last gallon of mmo i anded a pint or maybe qt of 2 cycle oil to one gal of mmo, i have put 4 oz of this mix in 4 times which is equal to one full tank of gas. it seams to be ok.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
chris1974
Veteran

ORIGINAL: moe7404

this may not fix your trouble but on a high mileage engine mmo might help.
[align=left]moe in wichita ks
[/align][align=left]if you use marvel mystery oil in each tank of gas. you will Not need to add fuel system cleaner at all. mmo will KEEP fuel system clean, and it will lube the fuel pump, injectors, valves, piston rings. heard a story about a guy that had an airplain, that he used mmo. the faa said it must get an overhaul. when it was taken apart the mechenics said that it DIDNT need overhauled, it was clean as new. mmo should seal the rings, and reduce oil comsumtion. on my last gallon of mmo i anded a pint or maybe qt of 2 cycle oil to one gal of mmo, i have put 4 oz of this mix in 4 times which is equal to one full tank of gas. it seams to be ok. [/align]
Seems like i read this response in another thread.......lol. J/K Moe..

Old 04-30-2008, 10:18 PM
mschief47

Thank you to all for the ideas, thought you might like to know it was the electronic pick up in the distributor... changed one and it was bad the second one the pin didnt' go in all the way so it had all the same symptoms. So. that's it, running better than ever,. thanks again,

Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: chris1974
Seems like i read this response in another thread.......lol. J/K Moe..
If you look hard enough alot of his replys are that EXACT paragraph. Its like he has it ready to
be copied and pasted at all times. if he's not trying to pimp the MMO he's pimping some trany shop
in the middle of BFE.

Im calling shenanigans, [sm=deadhorse.gif],and [sm=sign14.gif]

Quick Reply: running rough