2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine has clatter sound at startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 PM
MstrMstr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine has clatter sound at startup

My 5.2 has started to make a nasty lifter like sound or noiseat startup.

Worse noise when left to sit before restart.

Sounds like marbles in a tin can and is loud.

Goes away when oil pressure kicks in.
( I have a nice newish pump from Mellen putting out perfect pressures.)

Got much worse after a oil change.
(failed anti-drainback valve on the cheap filter?)

My compression is nice and equal.

I really can imagine the lifter gallerys starved at startup...It sounds exactly like I was tuning a solid lifter engine back in the 60's.

I was thinking of putting my hand on the cold engines valve covers to feel the clatter!!

What gives???

Old 05-05-2008, 01:22 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine has clatter sound at startup

Sure it's not something else? Might just be a bad valve guide or something, and once it hits the right temp it expands large enough to stop the clatter...? Maybe a lifter? Does the engine perform different? Like idle badly ect...

Need some ideas to narrow it down? Distinctively one side? both sides? Could just be the manifold bolt or something, and pipe, starter coming loose? I am guessing a manifold...

Old 05-05-2008, 07:15 AM
JasonA
Veteran

Sounds like timing chain rattle. But you wouldn't think that would happen all of a sudden. That's not uncommon for engines with long timing chain runs with tensioners, but that's not the case with the 5.2L. So how long does it rattle after you start it? Oil pressure should build IMMEDIATELY after you start it. If it was purely oil-pressure related, you shouldn't hear it for more than 1 second...maybe less. It may be a bad ADBV in your oil filter. That would be a cheap first fix. I've had decent luck with the Mopar-branded oil filters that you can get at Wal-Mart. It's $4.88 for the MO-090 filter, and it's got a quality ADBV and pressure relief valve. It appears to be the same, internally, as the Purolator filter (based on construction techniques).

Old 05-05-2008, 06:51 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ks

sounds like an anti-drain back valve in the filter.

the most important thing about oil is to have lots of zinc in the oil. i have done some searching on the internet on oil, filters, additives. i like to have oil as thick as i can and it still start in cold. so here is what i use, 2001 dak v6. Valvoline premium blue 15w-40 oil it has lots of zinc in it. Purolator PL 14670 PURE ONE filter, short ver same length as a fram ph43, use only a PURE ONE filter that is shown by the P in the part no, the long version is PL 30001 the long ver is the same length as a fram ph8a, may not fit all frames. under NO conditions use a fram filter. then you need to go to zddplus.com site and get some zinc from them. my truck starts ok in the winter, but we normally dont get below 0 f.
i did have trouble with 20-50 not wanting to turn over in the winter

Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker

yay more copy and paste spam crap that has nothing to do with the actuall topic

...oil was mentioned past paragrah 1 into forum.
...transmision mentioned....paste paragraph 2.
...running rough....paste #3.

why not just make 1 thread with all of your lame canned copy paste messages and maybe just post a link to that instead of the actual paragraph. please for the love of god stop the spam and the post whoreing. you are just taking up server space.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 PM
MstrMstr

ANSWER--It ISthe anti-drainback valve in the oil filter.

When I had my oil pump changed a bit of flotsam managed to just barely plug the steel valve open just a wee bit.

At the request of my dealer, I now use the newest Mobil 1 filter. It's designed to be more forgiving with a better ADBV neoprene seal. I did a web search and at under $10, its now the filter to beat. Not pushin the brand just the quality.

I am the type of guy who cuts open filters with my trusty pipe cutter just to see what was inside and what the filter does filter.. If the oil pump can crush it, it will go to the filter... wire -casting sand-hardened sludge- the works.

Just for a general chuckle.. Magnum engines are out of production, FACT..
Maybe because I found a guys wristwatch in my oil pan(from the factory) TRUTH.

Davis

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MstrMstr

ANSWER--It IS the anti-drainback valve in the oil filter.

When I had my oil pump changed a bit of flotsam managed to just barely plug the steel valve open just a wee bit.

At the request of my dealer, I now use the newest Mobil 1 filter. It's designed to be more forgiving with a better ADBV neoprene seal. I did a web search and at under $10, its now the filter to beat. Not pushin the brand just the quality.

I am the type of guy who cuts open filters with my trusty pipe cutter just to see what was inside and what the filter does filter.. If the oil pump can crush it, it will go to the filter... wire -casting sand-hardened sludge- the works.

Just for a general chuckle.. Magnum engines are out of production, FACT..
Maybe because I found a guys wristwatch in my oil pan(from the factory) TRUTH.

Davis

Thanks for the help guys!!!
Good thing you caught it early.... Didn't sound to serious but could have gotten worse but thats pretty funny about the watch....

Old 05-08-2008, 06:45 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

i realy apreceate your coments. it realy is great that you are so much better than everyone, that you think you have to lash out at other people. so i think i may not be back. so the next time you have question and noone has an answer think " moe might know that, but he got ran off "

nascar champon??

nascar was started by a bunch of moonshiners on a sundayafternoon in a cow field after they had to much of there own stuff.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker

Never said i was better than any one, and NASCAR as nothing to do with the issue at hand.

But sorry if you are offended by the fact that i am pointing out that you are really just spamming advertisements in our forums. And that is what you are doing, you arn't helping you are advertising. if those companies want to advertise here have them contact Dodgirl19 or Badstratrt and have them become real advitisers/sponsers on the sight.

Its right in the rules of the sight: https://dodgeforum.com/fb.asp?m=10843
5. Selling or solicitation of ANYTHING in the general forum, by Private Message or in Chat is considered Spam and is not allowed. Anyone found posting excessive links to their websites, or suspected of "sneaky" advertising will be warned and will possibly lose their posting privileges. Please post your private party ads in the Dodge Forum Classifieds forum sections. If you are a business and have a product or service that would be of interest to our members, visit our Advertising/Sponsorship page to learn how you can join our team and help support our community. We offer a variety of low-cost packages that can be of great benefit to your company.

But i think the real reason you are getting all pissy is that some one finally caught on and are actually calling you on it. Besides im sure you get paid in some way every time you post one of those paragraphs, which is my mainissuebecause you are taking money away from the people who own and operate the sight.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:30 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

TO BOULEE WHO PUT YOU IN CHARGE?

Quick Reply: Engine has clatter sound at startup